1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant uninstall SP2. missing catalog!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Anon23, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anon23

Anon23 Thread Starter

I need to uninstall and reinstall SP2. I cant get a version of SP2 to install without ording in the mail, from what i can tell, and i never made a copy of my original install since it was through the windows updater. Anyway, i hit uninstall, it goes through the list. I hit ok on the window for the list of programs it will affect. It keeps going to restoring catalogs. I get a popup saying cant find specified file. Then the SP2 was not succesfuly uninstalled. How can i fix this? I need to reinstall to wipe out an inability for Microsoft Management Console and other things to detect i have above IE 6.0. Its affected stuff that uses MMC and an installation of one anti virus security sweet so far. A few admin tools work taht look like they also use mmc, but, defrag, most of the admin tools, and device manager in System, give me a popup saying MMC requires Interenet Explorer 5.5 or greater. The security suite tells me IE 5.0. I cant get it to work. And i need to get access to some of my admin tools etc. Its possibly theres an easier way to get these programs to accept that i have a higher version than that since its possible its from running two version of IE. It gave me the ability to choose which one was the default in the IE's main bar and i switched back and forth, which could have caused the problem. I'm not sure though. I was useing NJStars modded version of IE. I've since uninstalled it. I beleive it was based on IE 4.0 or 4.5 or around there. It may have been higher.

Also, if anyone can. How do you get back an admin account password. I lost mine and really could use access to my admin acount again. Thanks.

Edit: I have also done an S&D report log, recently, saying it detects i have IE 6.0 for SP2. I had, also, some time ago, installed the only version of IE 6.0 i could find at microsoft for the SP1, if it had installed succsefully. I don't remember if it did or not succsefully or if i didnt just cancel it because i found something else. Either way, S&D, atleast, says i still have 6.0 for SP2.

Edit2: I was wrong about one thing. The only two apps in my admin tools that work do not use MMC. They are using their own windows.

2. mobo

mobo

Look back in your syetm restore points for the date when you installed Sp2 then restore the point just before that.

3. Anon23

Anon23 Thread Starter

Thats was over a year ago. I dont have any restore points that old. I had to wipe my restore points to fix something along time ago. Besides that, my restore points tend to last about 5 days before they get wiped by something! 8)

And how do i get to the window that allows me to choose the restore points again. The one with the little calender specifically.

Edit: Found it, nvm. Nothing before march of this year. ITs all S&D removal backups and a couple of windows update things. Tsk tsk. It's never that simple! 8p

And i am totally up for other options to fixing the MMC thing without uninstalling SP2. Thats why i provided all the odd info with the first post.

4. mobo

mobo

5. Anon23

Anon23 Thread Starter

The add remove program just uses the program i typed in manually. The same problem came up since it was the same uninstall app. The System restore doesnt work since i dont have one. And I'll see if i need my admin password for the last one. If i do then i cant. But i may still have admin privileges on this account. I'm not sure how mcuh i have. I changed it once and for security where i know i had full originally......

Edit: just noticed it says i need the admin password and it just another process to run the same uninstaller. It think the problem is that it cant find the catalogs to go back to the pre SP2 settings (Or did you think the Admin account might contain the file?). I dont know why theyre gone. If anyone knows a simpler way of playing with windows apps ability to recognize your IE setting It would probly help too. 8( Does anyone know alot about MMC(microsoft management console). Its the console/app that defrag, decive manager, and your admin apps are designed to function in. Its why they look the same.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice