1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't uninstall Superantispyware program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mwajr, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwajr

mwajr Thread Starter

I have the free version of Superantispyware installed. I went to Control Panel>Add/Remove programs...Superantispyware was not in the list of programs! I can't find any other program in the list that might be the program. How do I uninstall this program?
    My system:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1022 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 70064 MB, Free - 31871 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XD720, , .G56K1B1.CN4864365G2127.
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you actually have it installed, there will be a:

SUPERAntiSpyware icon on the desktop

SUPERAntiSpyware entry in the Start menu

SUPERAntiSpyware folder inside the C:\Program Files folder

SUPERAntiSpyware entry in the Add Or Remove Programs list

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. hewee

hewee

==================================================
    Entry Name : SUPERAntiSpyware Professional
    Product Name : SUPERAntiSpyware
    Version : 4.32.0.1000
    Company : SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    Description : SUPERAntiSpyware Application
    Obsolete : No
    Uninstall : Yes
    Installation Folder : C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware
    Install Source : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Wise Installation Wizard\
    Web Site : http://www.superantispyware.com/support.html
    Installation Date : 12/18/2009 5:34:52 PM
    Uninstall String : MsiExec.exe /X{CDDCBBF1-2703-46BC-938B-BCC81A1EEAAA}
    Installation Change String: MsiExec.exe /X{CDDCBBF1-2703-46BC-938B-BCC81A1EEAAA}
    Quiet Uninstall : No
    Registry Key : {CDDCBBF1-2703-46BC-938B-BCC81A1EEAAA}
    Installer : Windows Installer
    Root Key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    System Component : No
    ==================================================

That above is from...

MyUninstaller v1.70 - Alternative to the standard add / remove control panel module
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html

Just unzip it to its own folder.

It will find the uninstaller for you.

I have SUPERAntiSpyware entry in the Start menu but it has NO Uninstaller there.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    hewee:

Are you aware that 4.47.0.1000 is the current version?

-------------------------------------------------------------

6. hewee

hewee

That is odd because I have pro version 4.47.0.1000 so guess that info is from a install and not upgrades.

Was first installed Friday, September 19, 2008, 5:29:13 PM

History
    http://www.superantispyware.com/producthistory.html?id=SUPERANTISPYWARE
    12/08/2008 4.23.1006

I think I had trouble updating or had to do a uninstall to install the newer version so that is why it is not going back to " 09/04/2008 4.21.1004".

Wow this is really funny. I now see where the version comes from.
    a7952c5f-998a-43d6-95c1-ae1f2b670135.exe

See image and from icons it looks like I have 2 versions with the 4.47.0.1000 at the very bottom hiding part way. But the date is May 2010 and that was 4.37.1000 and 4.38.1004 that are the two dates on the file 5/7 and 5/29.

Is that a goof up or am I to have that file?
    I know lots of the upgrade from the program upgrader I do it and then it says to reboot and then I reboot and it shows the older version so I do it again. Or it can show in one user account it is upgraded to the newer version but not the other. Then you get pop up to upgrade still and then do it again and it seems to find it is already there after going tru it all over again but your not asked to reboot.

Edit:
    I closed down Superantispyware and clicked on a7952c5f-998a-43d6-95c1-ae1f2b670135.exe and it opened just fine but it is Version : 4.32.0.1000
    Add/Remove only has it listed once but shows the date lasted used as 9/24/2008
    Just updated the def. too.
    Then went into settings and checked for undates/upgrades and there are not any. So it does not see that it has a newer version. But I have the other version that is right also. So do not know what is going on.

Attached Files:

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I believe Phantom010 also uses the paid version, so maybe he can explain why you have that weird file name in the C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware folder.

I use the free version and just checked my folder and don't have any file similar to yours.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. hewee

hewee

Thanks flavallee. I bet it was trouble like I said doing a upgrade and reboot and it not seeing it right.
    Guess it renames the file when it upgrades and with the trouble it never got deleted in the upgrade.
    Just like a couple times doing a MS Update I have had odd folders on my root drives C and D not get deleted after a install and or reboot that have long file names like that file.

9. Phantom010

No, actually, I have the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware.

I don't have that file either.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Oops! I was thinking you had the paid version of SAS and MBAM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

11. Phantom010

I only have the paid version of MBAM. :)

12. hewee

hewee

Well lots of opps going arounds :p

My guess is that what I guess happen and but just went to the other Admin account and deleted the a7952c5f-998a-43d6-95c1-ae1f2b670135.exe file and SAS still runs OK but MyUninstaller still shows the older version. So it is getting that I guess from the registry.

That was only part of it but there is the wrong version number.

When I feel like it I will get find my Registration Key and do a uninstall and delete the folder and clean the registry and start over.

Or can I just edit the value in the registry from 4.32.0.1000 to 4.47.0.1000? Wait that I bet will not work if it never changed from before and newer upgrades will look over it and then it will keep showing 4.47.0.1000.

OK I am going to try the easy way and edit the registry. Had to go to regedit file and use the run-as to get to the Main Admin account because the User Account with Admin right could not edit the "DisplayVersion"="4.32.0.1000" to show 4.47.0.1000. But still do not know if next version upgrade will change this if there is a all new "Uninstall String" but the MyUninstaller now shows the right version. But like I said if it's a old "Uninstall String" then I never really fixed anything.

Just think if I used MyUninstaller v1.70 and checked everything the same type of thing may show up with other programs.

13. hewee

hewee

I did a uninstall and deleted all the SUPERAntiSpyware from the registry and then cleaned up the SUPERAntiSpyware from each "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data folder.
    Had this left that is that old install in the image.

SASCore I have in new install but not the SASUNINST.exe

New install has a "Uninstall" and "Uninstall.dat" file.

The
    Not how the "Uninstall String" and "Installation Change" has changed and nothing in the "Install Source" now. But Install Source may of been from SAS upgrade and not a fresh install or where I do the installing on my own.

Anyhow I got things all cleaned up but one odd thing. In the User account with limited rights I use all the time I have SAS setting for "use XP windows XP style menu" unchecked. I had to uncheck it.
    It was checked in the Admin account but that is from the default install. Odd part is it was not in the user account so it remembered so guess I did not get everything in the registry but if it is there who knows where it is because nothing was left from SAS so must be hiding in places like the key codes etc. Yea it remember the home page to but that I guess it just knows where and you OK like I did in the install part.

Attached Files:

• SAS.png
      SAS.png
      File size:
      13.9 KB
      Views:
  14. hewee

hewee

The start menu used to have a "SUPERAntiSpyware Repair" but I do not have that now?
    Never used it so not sure where it goes but guess it opens what you can get to from the "Preferences", repair tab.

15. Phantom010

I have it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice