1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't uninstall wireless router from Device Manager, slow internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syc0path, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

The computer is an older P4 machine running WinXP w/ AT&T DSL internet service. My brother hooked up an old wireless-g router, but he didn't know how to configure it and the computer lost internet access. I removed the router and hooked the DSL modem directly to the computer like it was before.

Since then, the computer takes a long time to boot up. It's like it's searching for a hardware device that is no longer installed. Also, the internet download speeds are painfully slow. I tried speedtest.net and got 238ms ping and 0.11Mbps. By my math, that's 14KB/s. Previously, download speed was usually around 150KB/s.

I went into the Device Manager and saw that there were several conflicts for the network adapter. I tried uninstalling them, but it fails -- even in Safe Mode. They are disabled though. There is also an entry for a RAID controller that does not exist (unless it's built into the mobo). I can uninstall that, but it tries to reinstall when the computer is rebooted.

So it seems to me that there are remnants of the router's software/driver installation that I can't get rid of. I also tried Add/Remove Programs to see if there is a router setup program, but I didn't find anything.

Attached Files:

2. ETech7

ETech7

Routers don't install drivers on your system.

Remove AVG security software, get MSE.

3. Simba7

Simba7

How is the DSL modem connected? Is it by Ethernet or USB?

4. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

So those entries are related to the AVG anti-virus software?? I just assumed it was some other abbreviation, becuz I don't see why AVG would have anything to do w/ the network adapter. Could it have something to do w/ the AVG firewall reacting to the installation of the wireless router? Or was that just coincidence?

The DSL modem is connected by ethernet.

5. ETech7

ETech7

Not a coincidence.

6. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

So I ran the AVG software removal utility. It succeeded in removing everything AVG-related from the computer... except the ethernet entries :( So I decided to try doing a repair install w/ WinXP to see if that would overwrite the AVG entries. That's when things got weird.

I changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot from the CD 1st. But I had to restart the computer 3 times before it loaded from the CD. Then I kept getting a DOS prompt when I tried to do a repair install. Then when I was trying to reboot the machine again, it kept hanging on the mobo splash screen -- even after I changed the boot order back to booting from the C: drive 1st. The power supply failed a few weeks ago, and I suspect it may have damaged the mobo. It seems to boot up ok if the computer is cold, but it hangs when it's warm.

There are other problems in the registry as well. A lot of times when a program is opened, the window is stuck down below the task bar and u can't click on it to move it. So basically, what we have here is an aging computer w/ questionable hardware that needs an OS reinstall. U'r probably thinking the same thing I am -- time for an upgrade! So I ordered new components and I'm going to install Win7.

7. ETech7

ETech7

I guess it's late since you've ordered parts, but wouldn't you consider getting new PC. You can get get decent one out there for less then $500.

8. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

I did a lot of comparison shopping before I ordered. I spent about $400.. if I had bought a pre-built computer, I would have gotten less performance for more $$. Here's what I got:

NEWEGG:
    1 x ($94.99) MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $94.99
    1 x ($39.99) RAIDMAX RX-500AF Continuous 500 watts ATX 12V v2.3/EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply $39.99
    1 x ($17.99) SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224BB - OEM $17.99
    Subtotal: $152.97
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping and Handling: $0.00
    Total Amount: $152.97

AMAZON:
    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit ...
    Sold by Amazon.com LLC $49.49

Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G860 3.0 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623G860
    Sold by Amazon.com LLC $68.24

And a Crucial 256GB SSD from eBay for $152

9. Simba7

Simba7

..a RAIDMAX power supply?

Why did you go with an SSD if you're only using a Pentium Dual Core? Why are you using high performance memory on a mediocre processor?

10. ETech7

ETech7

I meant getting new pc (pre-build, or DYI) and it looks like that's what you are doing. And yes, for a little over $100 you may want to consider getting Ivy Bridge.

11. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Lol... yeah that was my least favorite of all the components I bought, but the price was good and the reviews were decent. The old HD was a 120GB IDE drive that still had plenty of space on it. So it didn't need a big HD. And the boot times w/ an SSD are worth the price of admission :) The RAM is overkill, but I found a good deal on it... no point in getting inferior memory for the same/more/only slightly less money.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice