1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't uninstall Yahoo Messenger

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Pete C., Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pete C.

Pete C. Thread Starter

Hello to all,

I trust I'm in the right forum first of all.........anyway.........I'm trying to uninstall Yahoo Messenger using the Add/Remove Programs routine. When I click on Change/Remove in the list within Add/Remove the following occurs:

I get the Perform Uninstall window which asks me to click Finish to perform the uninstall.
    ( at the bottom left corner of this window it's labeled Wise Installation Wizard...if that helps).
    I click on Finish which produces a different window titled Performing Uninstall stating that the uninstall has begun. Above the standard progress bar it says the following:

Self-unregistering file:
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo\Messenger\PhotoShare.dll

At this point it just sits there with no blue showing on the progress bar etc. and leaves me no choice but to use the Task Manager to force it to end. That gives me the standard window that states "You have chosen to end the non-responsive program UnWise.exe".

Any help or direction I can get on this one? It's been bugging me why I can't do this.

Thanks in advance,
    Pete C.

2. 40south

40south

Hi Pete

Try this

hopefully it will help you

3. Pete C.

Pete C. Thread Starter

hey there 40south !

Followed your link but unfortunately it gave me the same basic procedure to follow that I had performed on my own....with the uninstall hanging as I described in my original post from above. I can't believe I can't uninstall this program because it's actually a no-brainer to do so. This one has me stumped. Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance,
    Pete C.

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Click Start/All programs and look for it in there ....when you find it,click on it and you should see an uninstall feature ...

5. guitar

guitar Banned

make sure its not running at start up, uninstall the bits that it will let you if any then open folder containing it in programs delete all i had trouble with one file here which i dragged into recycle bin emptied it then run hjt fix any yahoo stuff there then run ccleaner includeing issues, restart
    i did this on a friends comp and it worked hope it works for you:)

6. Pete C.

Pete C. Thread Starter

To telecom69,
    Hello and thanks for your suggestion. When I do as you suggested, I find Yahoo Messenger in the Programs list. When I point to it, it gives me a drop-down that just says Yahoo Messenger with Voice but nothing in the form of uninstall options.
    Regards,
    Pete C.

7. Pete C.

Pete C. Thread Starter

To guitar,
    Thanks for your suggestions as well. I will look into what you described and see how far it will take me. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable doing a hjt fix unless I know what I'm looking at (obviously Yahoo stuff) but just how to specifically handle it. Any pointers in that respect?
    Regards,
    Pete C.

8. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

OK then,I found this in another forum you may want to try clicking on the links given ....

Is it possible to permanently delete a Yahoo Messenger account?It is possible to delete a yahoo account but it will also delete everything else, including your yahoo mail and any other yahoo areas that you use that ID for. Once you delete it you won't be able to reactivate it. Yahoo help also says that terminating your Yahoo! account does not alter or delete your Yahoo! People Search listing, which you need to edit or delete yourself. Here is the link to the page with all the info and links for deleting the account. http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edi...s/edit-23.html

Direct link to get account deleted: https://edit.yahoo.com/config/delete_user

Or you might want to give this freeware uninstaller a try http://www.dirfile.com/add_remove_pro.htm

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice