1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't uninstall Yankee Clipper

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by grandpaw7, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

After getting my new XP computer, I downloaded the clipboard utility Yankee Clipper, which I used a lot on my older computer. However, I found out I downloaded the wrong version rather than the one I wanted and was used to. So I uninstalled it yesterday morning and instead installed the version I wanted. Then, I got to messing around trying to get YC on my startup and Quick Launch. Somehow, I messed things up so that YC wouldn't work. So I attempted to uninstall this second version of YC (the one I wanted). Add/Remove went through the usual procedure as though the uninstall worked fine. But it didn't. YC was no longer in Add/Remove, but it was big as life everywhere else although it still worked poorly. Then, I used System Restore to go back to yesterday morning before I uninstalled the version I didn't want. I wanted to start all over. So I tried to uninstall that version so I could newly install the good version. But now the bad version won't uninstall. When I try to do that via Add/Remove, I get a Wise Uninstall error saying "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file.

I have no idea what to do now. For one thing, I wonder if the error message means that the Add/Remove program now won't work for anything, or if that error message just applied to YC. I've thought about downloading free uninstaller but I prefer not to do anything till I can get some expert input.

Thank, grandpaw

2. Sponsor

3. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I installed Advanced Uninstaller Pro. when I tried to uninstall YC with it, I got the same message that Add/Remove gave me, that is, Wise Uninstall could not open INSTALL.LOG file. How do I get that INSTALL.LOG file back where it can be opened? grandpaw7

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

hi, Try reinstalling the version you wish to remove and that is giving the Install.log error message. That should replace the missing file and let you uninstall correctly.

You may still have the download (setup) file, or just go get it again.

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Hi, Byteman. I did try that but unsuccessfully. I am now waiting to hear back from the YC people about how I can remove the program.

None of the following is necessary to read but it looks like this is what happened. By mistake I first downloaded an old YC version, Yankee Clippper Plus. It is really obsolete, so I removed it, or rather thought I did. When I ran Add/Remove on it, no error came up and it disappeared from the Add/Remove list. But nonetheless it was still on my machine, unknown to me. I then downloaded the version I want, YCIII. But YCIII is all that showed up in Programs. When things got fouled up, I tried to remove YCIII so I could reinstall it, and I got that error message. Then, yesterday morning, Plus showed up in my Programs along with YCIII. Well, I was then able to remove YCIII with no problem but not Plus, which is still on my computer. As I say I did install it anew but that didn't help with the uninstall. So I wrote YC management and am waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for posting, grandpaw

6. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I never could uninstall Yankee Clipper Plus. So I deleted all files pertaining to Yankee Clipper Plus and YCIII and I reinstalled YCIII. Things seem to be working now. grandpaw7

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279160