1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't update firmware

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by seaminer, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seaminer

seaminer Thread Starter

I have an Olympus Evolt-500 that won't update the firmware. I'm running XP pro with a DSL internet connection. I've talked to every tech support person Olympus has and they don't have a clue what's wrong.

It will recognize the camera and lenses but it will download from 50% to 83% of the firmware update, then a message pops up and says no connection to server and everything shuts off. They had me try the download with no firewall on and using just the modem no router. I've used Olympus Viewer, Olympus Master and Olympus Studio Trial version and they all download about the same amount before they shut down.

I'm open to suggestions at this point.

2. Sponsor

3. happyrck

happyrck

try downloading the firmware to another computer and bring it to the bad one on CD or a thumb drive...if you cant get the firmware on the other computer its their server that has the problem

4. seaminer

seaminer Thread Starter

It doesn't download that way. It loads it directly to the camera while you are online. I wish that was the way it loaded!

5. happyrck

happyrck

if you cant download to another computer...iv'e got nothing except try at different times of day
    maybe someone else that had the same problem will know...if not just come back here and type in " bump"to get it back up to the top of the list

6. vreyens

vreyens

Hi seaminer,
    Were you ever able to get the firmware updates?
    Why I ask, I am also not able to get the firmware updates for
    my Evolt E-300.
    Barry

7. seaminer

seaminer Thread Starter

No! I have never gotten the updates for the firmware yet. Olympus's suggestion was, "Just send it back. Our turn around time is very short". I have a better idea. Just fix your software downloads! I know of 2 others with the E-300 that can't load thier firmware either.

Let me know if you ever get it to load and I'll do the same.

8. vreyens

vreyens

Good Morning,
    Seaminer I was able to get all the firmware updates today.
    I was able to update Olympus master, the software that came with
    my camera. It took better than a half an hour to get all the updates
    to Olympus master 1.1. It was updated to 1.41. After the updates
    I had no problem getting the firmware updates.
    Barry
    In wet Winston Oregon

9. seaminer

seaminer Thread Starter

I just updated the software and still nothing! I get 55% downloaded and then it stops. What type of connection do you have? I'm using DSL.

10. vreyens

vreyens

Hi
    I have wireless 300K. I have tried for three day.
    Only thing, this morning I was up early 4am. The
    updates worked like clock work.
    Barry

11. seaminer

seaminer Thread Starter

I live in the Medford, Or. area and get up early too. I'll try tomorrow and see what happens.

12. vreyens

vreyens

If you ever get up to the Roseburg area
    your welcome to try on my computer.
    Barry

13. seaminer

seaminer Thread Starter

I finally got it to download! I kept switching between Olympic Master and Olympic Viewer and Viewer finally loaded the 1.1 upgrade. I kept them both trying to download at the same time and Olympic Viewer finally loaded 100% and my camera's firmware now says 1.1! (y)

I knew it was just poorly written software (n) and NOT my computer or DSL connection. I didn't even have to turn off the firewall or shut down the virus scanner.

14. seaminer

seaminer Thread Starter

Well Olympus has a new firmware upgrade (1.2) out again. This time only 30% - 35% will download before I get the message "no connection to the server". All is not lost though, I got an email (finally) from Olympus and they actually admit that there is a problem.

"We were able to duplicate the problem on one of our Windows XP machines yesterday and have established it is an operating system problem and not a problem with our network. Disabling McAffee and the Windows Firewall did not alleviate the problem. It appears to be a security issue but we have yet to determine what security is creating the error. Interestingly, we had no problem with a Mac Powerbook."

I don't use McAffee or the Windows firewall. At least they finally admit that there is a problem (that only took 5 months of me complaining). Hopefully they can come out with a fix in less that 5 more months. I'll keep you posted as I get any more information.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!