1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Update Firmware

Discussion in 'Networking' started by newguy1, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newguy1

newguy1 Thread Starter

I periodically check the website for my router to see if there are any new firmware updates. I checked it today and every time i try it says :

A New Version is Found. Do You Want to Upgrade to the New Version Now?

Firmware Version:
    Current VersionV1.2.0.8 New VersionV1.2.3.7

I click Yes.
    It then tells me that the update failed.
    Any suggestions?

I am running an XP machine.
    I have Verizon DSL.
    I have a Westell model 2200 modem and a netgear wnr2000 router.

Any other information you need i will try my best to provide. Just ask.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

1. Unless you are having a problem or know the update includes a new feature you want, don't do the brain transplant. :)

2. Download the new firmware to your desktop and then update from there--don't have the router check for updates but instead use the option to tell it to update from a file on your computer. Of course, if the download file is a .zip you have to extract the .bin before doing the upgrade. Need I mention to use an ethernet connection for such upgrades?

3. newguy1

newguy1 Thread Starter

Well my internet has been on and off lately so i was hoping this would help.

Is there any websites i can download this off of? Because on my router page, there is no option to download. There is an option to upload the file. But, i don't have the file.

4. newguy1

newguy1 Thread Starter

Ok, i downloaded the file. But once i go to upload it. It gives me this message:

Please assign the correct file. (The file format is "*.img")

Any suggestions?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, if the router was working properly on the connection, then started to have issues, it's not the firmware that's the problem.

Reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure first. If that doesn't do it, it may simply be a problem with the ISP or the router may be failing. I think you're chasing ghosts trying to update the firmware for this issue.

6. newguy1

newguy1 Thread Starter

True. But you don't think the firmware will help in any way?
    And as far as i know i haven't changed any settings. Also, i just bought this router not too long ago. 3 months at the most.

Could it be my modem? I have a Westell Model 2200. It seems kinda old. Could it be outdated?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Does the problem occur when you connect the computer directly to the modem? If so, you probably have a modem or ISP problem. If not then the modem is OK.

8. newguy1

newguy1 Thread Starter

Well the way i have my connection set up is :

My Dsl cable to my modem.
    An Ethernet Cable from my modem to my router.
    And then a cable from the router to the computer.

This is the set up i have always had. Sometimes its just on and off. The more i type, the more i feel like its an ISP problem. Hmm...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878545