Can't upgrade to XP from WIN98SE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fredpb

I built a computer about two years ago. Put on WIN98SE. Yeah, stupid.

All components were made for XP, and had WIN98SE drivers and such, like the motherboard.

Now I want to upgrade to XP. Bought the upgrade disk and tried to install. No joy. Two hours with tech support. No joy. It would check system and copy components. Sometimes it would reboot, but back to WIN98SE (fully functional at this time). Sometimes the blue screen of death. Tech support said to reformat and do fresh install, and if not, get money back.

Want to ask for others help though.

I had all periphials unplugged.

I removed all antivirus and firewalls and such.

But I am puzzled. All my components in computer are XP compatible, but something is causing this.

Sometimes before reboot the computer would freeze.

I am wondering if my WIN98SE motherboard or video drivers could do this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.