1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't upload movies

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by melias, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melias

melias Thread Starter

i'm using cute ftp and cannot upload large movie files! i've tried a mpg of 213 mb, a wmv of 23 mb and various zipped versions of each to no avail. it uploads for hours, but when it's done it says 0. a couple times it did some weird thing where it seemed to be restarting many times (it went all day while i was at work) and uploaded part of the file. that might have been the winRAR archive i tried, i don't remember now.
    i also tried uploading the Windows Movie Maker Project (mswmm) with the hope that i could download it at work and recreate the movie...nope.
    any ideas? thanks!!
    ~melias

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Most webhosts have timeouts on uploads, or filesize restrictions. Is it only video files you have troubles with, or is it all large files?

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Yeah, if you are uploading to your ISP's provided webspace, then most of the time they limit you to more or less 10MB...so even your wmv would have failed.

The other thing is how are you connecting? dialup, cable, dsl?

MBN

4. melias

melias Thread Starter

it may be the size; nothing else i've uploaded has been more than about 1,000 kb. i'm pretty sure last year i uploaded some movies, but someone else made them and i don't remember their extensions or sizes (they did take a long time, though). i have dsl and a pretty good connection.
    i'll check with the IT dept. (it's a school district) and see if they've put a size/time limit on uploads....meanwhile, is there a way to compress or change the format of these to streamline them a bit? the 213 mb mpg is the one i really need to get uploaded now.
    thanks a lot for your prompt help!
    ~melias

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

The whole point of Movie Maker wmv options is to shrink your movie down to a manageable size. What data rate did you choose? Have you tried lowering it?

Obviously, when you lower the data rate, it decreases the quality of your movie. But the problem with not doing that is that expecting people to download a 200MB movie from the web is not a good idea.

If you are just trying to get your movie to school (you mention that 213MB mpg), the only way you will do that is either get permission to upload it or burn it to CD and walk it in.

If your school district's size limits are too small, look into your own ISP's limitations. I have comcast and they allow 25MB for each email address I create (I can create up to, I think, 5).

Good luck and post back if you have any other questions,

MBN

6. melias

melias Thread Starter

well, i'm mixing two problems here, i guess. at first i was trying to upload the wmv file because the cd i burned wouldn't work at school (needed codecs, which i found out over in windows xp). i took care of that, but now need to upload the huge one to the district's website because the superintendent wants people to see the "recruiting video." however, your point of not expecting people to download a 200 mb movie is well taken. this is a commercially-produced video and i'm not sure if i can appreciably shrink it, or even if i would have rights to do that. i think i'll talk to IT and let them decide whether or not to upload the movie, and they can tell the superintendent about it. thanks--i love this forum.
    ~melias

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice