1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't use all ram slots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dashingsuperman, Feb 12, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Dashingsuperman

Dashingsuperman Thread Starter

After purchasing a new motherboard and CPU and putting everything back in the computer the computer refused to boot and after taking things out and putting them in starting and repeating I figured out that if I put anything in 2 of my 4 ram slots the computer refused to boot. I've contacted the company who made the motherboard and they were literally no help.

Specs:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Video Card #2: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    RAM: 8.0 GB
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is the memory you installed on the approved list for your board?
    What bios are you running? There are numerous bios updates that address ram compatibility and system stability.
    8gig of ram does not really tell us much. You need to post the exact specs ie exact brand and model#
    You have not included the most important part; the exact pw supply you have installed. Again do not post "500W" Post the exact brand and model#

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. Dashingsuperman

yeah sorry about the rest of the missing specs

Power Supply: 600W "high power HPG-600BR-H14S"
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P2.50, 7/27/2016
    SMBIOS Version 2.8
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    RAM (at the moment): 2x DDR3 Adata XPG 4Gb AX3U1866W4G10-DGV
    RAM (both before new motherboard and hope to end up with): 4x DDR3 Adata XPG 4Gb AX3U1866W4G10-DGV

and the ram works because it's 4 sticks of the same ram but atm I can only put in 2 no matter what configuration I put them in the slots only slot A2 and B2 work and don't cause the computer not to boot and I used the ram in my last board perfectly fine so unless it's like incompatible with dual channel then its fine but I'm still confused why I can't then put anything in slots A1 and
    B1

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Looks like you have the latest bios.
    Have you tried setting ram timing manually and not just running at default settings?

Other than having a VERY low end pw supply, I do not see anything else wrong. BTW I would really really install a quality pw supply. Yours has a 1yr warranty; any decent pw supply will have a 5~7yr warranty. Good ie recommended brands; corsair [ax, hx, or rm models ONLY] seasonic, FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty] or antec [HCG models ONLY]

As for your ram problem, if setting timings manually in the bios does not fix the issue, you have a choice. Either try different ram OR install a quality asus or gigabyte motherboard.

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

What are your ram timings in the Bios? Looks like
    CL10-11-10-30 are the settings, Is that what is showing in the bios?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely "Auto" He never replied when I asked him if you set timings manually.

9. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

From what I can determine, these are specs for a 16 GB(4 GB X 4) memory module kit for that motherboard:

DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600), 8-8-8-24, unbuffered, non-ECC, 1.5V, 512Meg x 64
    DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600), 9-9-9-24, unbuffered, non-ECC, 1.5V, 512Meg x 64

DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600), 8-8-8-24, unbuffered, non-ECC, 1.35V, 512Meg x 64
    DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600), 9-9-9-24, unbuffered, non-ECC, 1.35V, 512Meg x 64

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017 at 12:19 PM
  10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Frank I think these are 1866 chips and the timings I found were; 10-11-10-30 @1.5V.

11. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Yeah, I know.
    I was just showing the specs from the Crucial site.

---------------------------------------------------------------

12. lynx1021

lynx1021

From what I can see , the memory modules he has are the gold XPG V2. Looking on the Adata site it only shows the Red XPG V1 modules and some others compatible with his board, not the gold XPGV2. don't know what the difference is.

13. Dashingsuperman

Yes it is on auto, (or at least I would guess so I've never touched the timing) should I set the timings myself and if so how do I do that and where (I mean obviously in the bios) I also have no idea where the timing things are or how to set them or anything or what to set them too and idk if I need to change the timing on the other two sticks of ram but I can't get to the bios at all with all 4 in so I can only do 2 at the moment

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read your motherboard manual? Each bios [and even sometimes each update] has different menus and options. Giving you step by step instructions is just about impossible AND given the fact that I never use asrock boards, I really cannot give you detailed instructions.
    The relevant info appears to be on page 71 of the online manual however it may be on a different page in the paper manual.

15. lynx1021

lynx1021

2-15-2017 7-13-37 AM.jpg Could you look at this page and see what your settings are showing in auto? The first four are all you want to change if necessary. For your memory it should be 10-11-10-30. Also you could install CPUID and see what your 2 sticks are running at. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

16. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In addition to the above, you might also try bumping the vdimm [ram voltage] up slightly to 1.6V. My guess [and it is only a guess] is that the VRs on the board are dropping vdimm when all slots are populated.
    Do not do both of these at the same time; ie set timings manually and see how it works. If it still does not work, then up vdimm. Never make two changes at the same time. You would have no way of knowing which change fixed the problem [or made it worse]

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185242