1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't use all ram slots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dashingsuperman, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynx1021

lynx1021

I agree with Crjdriver, I had to bump my vdimm [ram voltage] up slightly to 1.6V on my board to get 4GB modules to work.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Usually IF you use a high end asus or gigabyte board that is not necessary since they have heavy duty components on the board however this is an asrock... AND not the higher quality one at that.

3. Dashingsuperman

Dashingsuperman Thread Starter

ok so you guys will probably think I'm stupid and face palm but like 20% of all this is the equivalent of Chinese to me so ill just put the report in this reply and see if you can help me know what I should be doing and I don't need a step by step because i can probably just look up how to do whatever and if that doesn't have the info you might need then tell me where i would possibly find it or what i need to look up to find it
    along with i tired to find and look at a manual that i had and realized it didn't have one it just has an software set up guide and a quick instal guide

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. Dashingsuperman

ok i guess ill go with the first thing that was said that might work, changing the timings, i also feel like i saw the vdimm when scrolling throught the bios a while back so i think i know how to do but so i guess ill fix the timings first unless you think i should do the vdimm first and if that doesnt work then do something else first,

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do either one first however ONLY do one thing at a time.
    If it were me, I would probably opt to do the timings first.

7. Dashingsuperman

Ok after some more searching and thinking I've realized there was one mess up with the original info that I didn't think would change much
    1. the slots not working are A1 & A2 ( i though one color was A and the other was B so I thought the slots went A1,B1,A2,B2, rather than A1,A2,B1,B2)
    2. the ram isn't the same one is 1866 and the other is 2400 they were sold together to me from a third party person (friend) so I thought they were the same
    3. this is just extra info when I put ANY ram whether it be one or all four or anything in any set up if ANY ram is in slots A1 & A2 the computer will not boot and the DR Debug thing will give me error 55 = "the memory could not be detected"
    4. the only reason I didn't look into this info first is that it worked perfectly fine on my last motherboard so I just thought it was some software problem but then later thought it was a hardware problem which as the tech support from ASRock said that there may be a problem with my board and there is nothing else he could help with
    5. i tried changing timings and vdimm and it didnt work which is where i found out both #1 & #2
    If there is literally nothing i can do about this then whatever because i got this board like October and had the problem since so warranty may have expired

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Warranty on most motherboards is 3yr however IF it were me, I would just install a quality board rather than trying to RMA an asrock board. Up to you.

Dashingsuperman likes this.
  9. Dashingsuperman

That's probably the best idea more than anything but I sorta don't have a large amount or any amount of excess funds for that so I guess I should start saving unless you might have any solutions that could possibly fix this as is

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

If you put two sticks in they have to be in A1 &B1 Or A2& B2. Since the memory's are different speeds that can cause problems also such as will not play together or will run at the lowest speed. Some boards are more sensitive to memory than others.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185242