1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't use gtx 1070

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Knaifu, Nov 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Knaifu

Knaifu Thread Starter

I have an Alienware 17 R5 and i am trying to get it to use the graphics card it has instead of the integrated one, i when i check device manager for it nothing appears, and when i go to BIOS i see that i have the graphics card but i have no option to utilize it

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Not specific to Alienware, but some BIOS has the option to choose which component to initialize first: PCI Express or PCI.

3. Knaifu

Knaifu Thread Starter

I don't see any option for that in the BIOS

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

So when you connect that GPU to the monitor, nothing appears, correct ?

Try going to the GPU vendor's website and downloading the driver from there.

5. Knaifu

Knaifu Thread Starter

i tried but whenever i start installing it it says that is does not detect any nvidia hardware on my laptop

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I just found this...pretty crazy, FN Dell. OK. so apparently you have to use the power adapter and then hit the F7 key to change from integrated to discrete graphics.

7. Knaifu

Knaifu Thread Starter

The graphics settings isn't in the BIOS. this guy has an alienware m17x, but i have an alienware 17 r5

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Laptops with hybrid video are problematic at best. You need to get the video drivers [both intel and nvidia] from the support page for that laptop. Do not attempt to use any other driver ie download from nvidia site, intel or whatever.

Before messing with anything, make sure you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, pics, whatever.
    Now uninstall ALL software based on either video card ie driver, any suite, any monitoring software, everything.
    Once done with that, pw ON and install/reinstall the chipset driver [again download ONLY from the support page for that laptop]
    Reboot when prompted. Install the intel video driver and reboot when prompted. Now install the nvidia driver and reboot. You should now have hybrid video.

9. Knaifu

Knaifu Thread Starter

what do you mean by software, like drivers? if so i dont really know what is and isnt safe to uninstall

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, a driver is software. As I said hybrid video is problematic and can be a pain to get working correctly.
    If you are not comfortable working on this laptop, that is fine. You can take it to a shop and have the procedure done. I would expect to pay somewhere between 1hr to 1.5hr shop time to have this done.

11. Knaifu

Knaifu Thread Starter

I got it working! thanks for telling me how, much appreciated

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome; see it was not all that hard (y)(y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice