1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't use keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mfallon, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfallon

mfallon Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspirion 2200 laptop, XP sp2. Just recently you can't type anything, push M and it enters, Push Y and it backskips, The machine doesn't seem to know what key is for what. I've run SPYBOT, Adaware, Norton AV doesn't see anything, I"ve also used disk cleanup and defraged the HD. NO Luck. Does anyone have any suggestions???
    Thanks
    Mark

2. bedderz

bedderz

Hi MFallon

It may be a faulty connection between the keyboard and the laptop motherboard. Do you have a spare external keyboard you could try plugging into a USB port on the latop?

If the same does happen with the external keyboard then I'd look at System Restore\reinstalling\repairing Windows. If the same doesnt happen then its probably more a hardware issue which could become a bit of a pain to repair, is the laptop still covered by a warranty?

Hope this helps

Mike Bedford
    Microsoft Certified Professional | Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician WinXP

3. mfallon

mfallon Thread Starter

Thanks for the support, While I said keyboad, It's a laptop so the keyboard is built-in.

4. Augie65

Augie65

If this just happen, you can try a system restore to a date before the problem appeared.
    You might also try tapping F8 at boot and select Last Known Good Configuration from
    the advance options menu with the arrow key and then hit Enter.

5. mfallon

mfallon Thread Starter

Thanks, The laptops works with an external keyboard. I tried sytem restore but no luck. Any other ideas?

6. bedderz

bedderz

Ok, well that sort of points me towards a hardwar fault with the built in keyboard.

Can you boot into BIOS, if possible try that and see if the keyboard works as expected in there.

If it does, this may be a problem with Windows, if it doesn't you are probably looking at a hardware fault, not the end of the world and not always costly but lets see where we stand first and then I or the other members of this forum can advise you further.

Hope this helps

Mike Bedford

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice