1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't use links and activex

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Lambdaphi874, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lambdaphi874

Lambdaphi874 Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with using most links. More than half of the time i click on a link it won't take me there, i usually have to copy and paste the shortcut in the address box. Also i can't use any type of activex things, it says that my settings don't allow it. But I went into my security settings and put everything on the lowest setting, including enabling all activex functions but it still won't do it. Also, i can't view my system settings anymore, if i right click and try to click properties on my computer it won't come up and the system icon under my control panel is missing. I had some problems with my winmm.dll file that apparently was unfixable (http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164853), i replaced it and went through a huge thread on here but nothing seemed to work. I figured out though that if i go to a search engine i can search for anything and it's fine, but if i type in "winmm.dll file cannot start" my computer freezes up everytime. Like something isn't letting me search for it, i can type in a combination of those but not together....weird. Anyways, i don't know if any of these problems are related but anything could help.

Oh and my spybot and avg won't work because of the winmm.dll thing and my hijackthis log has been looked at a million times.

2. Die Hard

Die Hard

Lambdaphi874 ,hi :)

I made a search on your behalf and found Windows knowledgebase. I hope it can be to any help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q137273

Error Message: The Comdlg32.dll File Cannot Start
    Gäller
    This article was previously published under Q137273
    SYMPTOMS
    When you try to start a program in Windows, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Error starting program. The Comctl32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
    Error starting program. The Comdlg32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
    Error starting program. The Shell32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
    Error starting program. The Lz32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
    Error starting program. The Version.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
    Error starting program. The Winmm.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
    CAUSE
    Some programs replace Windows files with their own files. The Windows Commctrl.dll, Commdlg.dll, Shell.dll, Lzexpand.dll, Ver.dll, or Mmsystem.dll files may have been replaced by files from another program.
    RESOLUTION
    Extract the corresponding file in place of the one listed in the error message you received. In the instructions that follow, replace <name> with the name of the appropriate file. This file will be one of the following files:
    Commctrl.dll for Comctl32.dll
    Commdlg.dll for Comdlg32.dll
    Shell.dll for shell32.dll
    Lzexpand.dll for Lz32.dll
    Ver.dll for Version.dll
    Mmsystem.dll for Winmm.dll
    NOTE: If you are using Windows 98, and Windows 98 starts, use the System File Checker tool to replace the damaged file with a new copy of the original file. For information about how to use System File Checker, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type "system file checker" (without quotation marks), click Display, and then double-click Using System File Checker.

Otherwise, restart your computer to a command prompt, and then copy the <name> file from the Windows\Sysbckup folder to the Windows\System folder. This replaces the existing file with the Windows version of the file.

NOTE: The program that replaced the <name> file with another version of the file may have set some of the <name> file's attributes. If you are having trouble copying the file from the Windows\Sysbckup folder to the Windows\System folder, use Windows Explorer to check the <name> file's properties. If the file's Read-Only, Hidden, or System properties are selected, click those check boxes to clear them.

If the <name> file in the Windows\Sysbckup folder is damaged or is not the correct version of the file, extract a new version of the file from your original Windows disks or CD-ROM to the Windows\System folder. To extract a new copy of the <name> file, you need to perform one of the following steps, depending on the file:

Extract the Kommctrl.dll file from the Precopy1.cab file to the Windows\System folder, and then rename the Kommctrl.dll file to Commctrl.dll.
    Extract the Commdlg.new file from the Win95_11.cab file to the Windows\System folder, and then rename the Commdlg.new file to Commdlg.dll.
    Extract the Shell.new file from the Win95_11.cab file to the Windows\System folder, and then rename the Shell.new file to Shell.dll.
    Extract the Lzexpand.dll file from the Precopy1.cab file to the Windows\System folder.
    Extract the Ver.new file from the Win95_17.cab file to the Windows\System folder, and then rename the Ver.new file to Ver.dll.
    Extract the Mmsystem.dll file from the Win95_13.cab file to the Windows\System folder.
    NOTE: The specific cabinet file numbers may vary from version to version. Use the /A switch to search the entire cabinet set of the appropriate type (Precopy or Win95).

For information about using the EXTRACT command to extract a file, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: 129605
    TITLE : How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

I also found THIS site , if you´re able to link there. :confused:

Regards
    Die Hard:)

3. Lambdaphi874

Ok, i did the first part before and it didn't work. And i tried the new link you gave me and it still didn't work...any new suggestions?

4. Lambdaphi874

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Give us a copy/paste of a HijackThis Scanlog for starters.

The "new links" problem has a couple of solutions depending on whether you have IE6 with XP or IE6 updated from Win98 or WinME.

If XP, go to start > run and enter:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

You can do that with 98 as well, won't hurt....

If Win98, try installing the mcrepair fix here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?postid=528265#post528265id=94549

6. Lambdaphi874

Here's the log...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.95.1
    Scan saved at 1:23:52 PM, on 9/26/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZONEALARM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
    C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {13F537F0-AF09-11d6-9029-0002B31F9E59} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\YCOMP5_0_2_2.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\YCOMP5_0_2_2.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} (&Yahoo! Companion) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/toolbar/ym/yiebio5_0_2_2.cab
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/80a25dd3ec062c/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab

7. Die Hard

Die Hard

You have an out of date HiJack This.The current should be 1.97
    Please go
    HERE and download the new one , and post a log-file from it.

Die Hard :)

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes it would be best to post an updated HijackThis Scanlog.

However, seeing that you have Win98 and remembering that you cannot use the type of link I posted, here is a direct download fro the mcrepair patch.

Just right click on it and select "save target as". You should be prompted to select a download folder. Choose a convenient location that is permanent in case you need to reinstall it.

Once downloaded, just double click it to run.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/msninvestor/Patch/1.0/WIN98/EN-US/mcrepair.EXE

If you have trouble with this link too, use the System File Checker to restore the file: oleaut32.dll

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
    2. Check "Extract one File"
    3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
    4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
    5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

9. Lambdaphi874

Here's the new log, and i did the mcrepair and it said all of my files were newer than the ones they had so i didn't overwrite them and i restored the oleaut32.dll and it did nothing...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 7:02:38 PM, on 9/26/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZONEALARM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\FKL\CISVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {13F537F0-AF09-11d6-9029-0002B31F9E59} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\YCOMP5_0_2_2.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\YCOMP5_0_2_2.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} (&Yahoo! Companion) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/toolbar/ym/yiebio5_0_2_2.cab
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/80a25dd3ec062c/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are there specific links which you are unable to access consistently, and others which you are?

If so, can you let me know what some of them are?

Also does it help to click "refresh" if you get a "page cannot be displayed" message?

Keep your Security settings at "default", just click the option to restore defaults. Too low is a security risk.

>> Have you tried running the IE Repair Tool? Since you have an updated version it should be available through the Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Internet Explorer > Remove > Repair

Also, I don't know where you restored your copy of winmm.dll from, but the version should be the one here:

http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/moreinfo.asp?Id=126001

Name:
    winmm.dll
    Description:
    System APIs for Multimedia
    Version:
    DLLSelfRegister:
    No

If it isn't, use SFC to restore it.

>> and have you tried disabling ZoneAlarm as a test to see if it is involved in the access problems? You may have to uncheck it from starting by running msconfig and removing the startup tab check for it.

>> finally cisvc.exe *should* be a Microsoft Indexer. I don't know how this is started or what the folder it is starting out of is, do you? I've never seen it on a Win98 system.

C:\PROGRAM FILES\FKL\CISVC.EXE

It wasn't in your previous running process list.

Also I'd suggest a DOS level cleanup of history and Temporary Internet Files. They are included in this set of directions:

Click Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode.

At the c:\windows\> prompt enter each bold line:

smartdrv
    deltree tempor~1
    deltree temp
    deltree history
    deltree locals~1\tempor~1
    exit

(you may get an error message on this last one (locals~1), just skip to "exit" if you do, it just means you don't have that directory)

Enter smartdrv first or the process will take a very long time. For each deltree, confirm by entering 'y' if the target directory is correct.

By the way, regarding the System Properties applet and any other Microsoft ones that are not working, see this page for the name of the .cpl (sysdm.cpl for System Properties, for example) and restore any missing or broken ones to c:\windows\system

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q192/8/06.ASP&NoWebContent=1

Also, go to start>run and enter control.ini and make sure none of them are listed under the [Dont Load] header.

Finally, if the IE Repair tool does not exist, or IE cannot be repaired, I would suggest Removing it. This will return you to your last version of IE. You can then go to the IE Homepage site and reinstall it.

11. Lambdaphi874

Ok, under the don't load is the snd.cpl and midimap.drv have to do with my sound functions? Because anything that produces a sound doesn't work. No winamp, not even the stupid little windows sounds. And what's the deal with the WildTangent...

[don't load]
    snd.cpl=no
    joystick.cpl=no
    midimap.drv=no
    sticpl.cpl=no

[MMCPL]
    WildTangent=C:\WINDOWS\WT\UPDATER\WTCPL.DLL

Also i tried to do the ie repair thing and when i clicked on add/remove it said that the file 'setupwbv.dll' couldn't be found.

Oh the indexer thing, CISVC.EXE, is a key/web logger, i think my roommates might have done something to my computer so i'm being a dick and seeing what they are doing. My computer is the only one in the house with the internet on it.

I already used the system file checker to replace the file and the version i have is right. I used the system file checker to replace the cpl files for system, sound, and networking (none of them were present) but when I checked the control panel they still weren't there and when i tried to run them it didn't work.

This sucks, what the hell is wrong with my computer??? Any more ideas??

I really appreciate all the help, thanks a lot...

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Check your IE Programs Folder for a copy of IEMIL_3.cab and if you find one, open it in Winzip or any zip program that will handle cab files and get the setupwbv.dll file from there and copy it to c:\windows\system. (sfc may or may not be able to open it)

If you don't have that cab file, you can download it from here:

http://ftp.up.ac.za/pub/windows/microsoft/ie6/

Give IE Remove/Repair another shot after placing the file in the system path.

No, the .cpl files there simply mean that the applets for those controls will not appear in the Control Panel, they wouldn't themselves affect the sound problem.

However, go to Start>run and enter: system.ini

Under the [Boot] header do you see an entry:

drivers=mmsystem.dll

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q138/8/35.asp&NoWebContent=1

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice