1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't use my computer/ mouse except in safe mode!! Help please!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Shadow Bea, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadow Bea

Shadow Bea Cherished forever in our hearts Thread Starter

I'm having computer problems The only way its working is in safe mode.. The mouse won't work at all except in safe mode .. errrrrrgggggee!! New computer( with Vista) it should not be having these issues!! I did an online virus scan ..it was clean.. but the computer won't do a system restore and when I go in in a normal mode the mouse won't work.. but it works in safe mode.. Which makes me think its the computer and not the mouse.. all of that happened on Monday .. then on Tuesday it was working fine.. This morning.. same problem errrrrrgggggee!! ...I'm at a loss I've done what I know to do which is run an online virus scan .. reboot.. clean the mouse.. I did an Ad-Aware cleaning and a Ccleaner cleaning.. I need to clean my house :D so I'm going to leave it on in safe mode and hope for someone who knows something to help me if they have time :D Thanks in advance .. not sure where to put this I hope its in the right forum :)

2. grandma77

grandma77

Bea, If you go into safe mode, can you uninstall the updates that you think are giving you the problem. You should find them by going to your control panel and then finding add/remove programs. Once you get in add/remove programs make sure you check at the top where it says "show updates". Then remove the updates that have the date you are questioning. I hope that helps and if not I would post this in malware and see if they can help you.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

It is caused by an update and I posted a fix for her to try in another thread,think its the one "I just want to say" ....there is only one update that is causing the problem and its KB 938371 .....

4. Shadow Bea

Ok Here I am again in safe mode :) I tried coming in in regular mode and after a couple of minutes the whole sluggish and not moving mouse thing would start.. it was also unresponsive to the keyboard.. and started beeping at me when I tried to turn it off with the keyboard.. I had to turn it off manually and then when I came on again I got a repair the computer screen.. (which didn't work) I then tried taping the f8 key to come in so that I could get into safe mode again.. anyway you get the picture..

* one of the first things I did was as Deb suggested in the other thread I looked for new drivers for the mouse and everything else it was all up to date..

* I then went in and uninstalled all of the updates starting from last week (thank you Pat :) ) The only one I CAN'T (the computer won't even give me the uninstall option) uninstall is KB938371 (according to Microsoft the KB938371 update is one of the prerequisite updates for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1).. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938371

*Oh yes and it still will not, or is not able to do a system restore..

I'm going to try another online virus scan as I am frustrated beyond belief and don't know what else to do... I'm also going to try backing up the stuff I've done in the past couple of months since I did the last backup.. just in case I have to completely re format this thing... (notice how it's now a thing rather than my usual pet name?? :D)

Thank you all for your help in this whole situation... I'm going to post this in both threads ..

Hugs everyone

5. Shadow Bea

OK I tried Debs fix with the Mouse driver and it worked for a few hours I then went out for about an hour and a half leaving the computer on.. when I came back it was all messed up again... am I going to have to reformat this thing?? This is a new computer!! If it is the
    KB938371 update that is causing these problems how do I get rid of it?? Thanks for all the help so far!!

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Go into Control Panel, Windows Updates and you will see "installed updates" on the bottom left so click it and then you will see all the updates. Highlight what you want and choose uninstall.

7. Shadow Bea

Thanks Rich I already did that.. I uninstalled everything from the past couple of weeks but
    The KB938371 won't uninstall:( it won't even give me that option..

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you tried using System Restore to a date prior to that Update?

9. Shadow Bea

yes as stated below I have Highlighted The things that have been Done as stated in my previous posts to make it eaisier to read..

I also uninstalled the mouse driver and rebooted and it reinstalled itself.. as Deb suggested.. I went through the whole device manager and updated everything (all of the drivers) all were already up to date..
    I did another online virus scan this time with Ewido it was clean other than some tracking cookies... I turned the computer on in regular mode this morning and it was fine for about 15 minutes then the same old same old.. so I'm back in safe mode..

10. wacor

wacor Banned

Hi Bea,

I wish I could fix your problem but I can't.

What I can tell you though is that it is best to stick with one person trying to help you. If you get advice from two sources they won't know what the other has suggested..

I have no idea who is the smartest but I can tell you that Debe is pretty darn good and stubborn as a mule in that the last thing she wants is somebody to reformat. If you want to go with her help I would suggest you start a thread in the Cats. She is more active there and you will get to the bottom of this quicker that way if you want her advice.

Just my two cents worth. Hope nobody is upset with my butting in. :)

11. grandma77

grandma77

I don't take offense. Whoever can help Bea is great. I just know people that removed updates usually had their computers revert back to the previous state...just didn't know they had some updates that couldn't be taken off...they should make a fix for this one since there are more people than just Bea with this problem. They should at least make it where she could remove the update until it is corrected. I just feel sorry for her...with a new computer, you wouldn't think you would have problems like this.

12. Shadow Bea

Deb has been wonderful a great help!! Noone is upset here :D I like people who butt in!! :D

Thanks Pat :) Hugs

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice