1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't use my ethernet adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slider6542, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slider6542

slider6542 Thread Starter

I have just had broadband installed but cannot connect to the web because I can't load the driver for my SIS 900 PCI fast ethernet adapter. It is on my ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard REV 5.0 but for some reason I cannot load the driver. It is very frustrating, any advise will be greatly appreciated. The only network driver that shows in device manager is the 1394 net adapter.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What happens when you try to install the driver?

3. slider6542

wow, that has to be the quickest response i have ever had on any forum, thanks.
    Nothing happens, I insert the motherboard driver disk and I get ´The main board not support´ so i explore to the driver I need and run set up which appears to run but doesn't load the driver.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So you're getting an error? That's something happening.
    Are you sure you're using the right driver?
    Did you install chipset drivers?
    Are you running a driver setup file, or did you extract the files and are pointing the driver install to the INF files?

You list your experience level as Advanced, so what have you tried, what isn't working, etc.?

5. slider6542

No I am not getting an error when I try and install the drive, nothing at all. I'm sure it is the rigth driver, it goes through the motions and even aske if I want to reboot but it isn't succesful.
    I flashed my BIOS a while ago, not sure if that has made a difference.
    I am only advanced in that I sed to work as a desktop support guy.
    Can we start from the top :)

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're not getting any error, but at some point during the install you see something that says ´The main board not support´?? Those are two conflicting statements.

Yes, flashing the BIOS could have caused the problem.

I don't have any other suggestions.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the ethernet adapter show as enabled in the BIOS?

8. slider6542

therein lies one of my problems. Since I flashed my bios, the lan doesn't display in the BIOS options. I have tried flashing back to the manufacturers BIOS but I can't.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You attempted to FLASH the BIOS with teh wrong one fo the machine? :eek:

If that's the only issue, I'd suggest you leave well enough alone and buy a PCI NIC for the machine.

10. slider6542

Yes, many thanks that is exactly what I did, bought a PCI NIC and it works great. The only other issue since I flashed the bios with Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG is that the machine will not shut down when selected, it reboots and nobody to date has been able to resolve this. AAGGHHH!
    Thanks for your time

11. JohnWill

I suspect that's because the power management in the BIOS doesn't match the MB. That's one that you'll probably have to live with. :)

12. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page in the upper left corner.© :)

13. slider6542

Hi John ,probably the best explanation I have heard to date. If I could revert to the old BIOS I would be happy but it won't let me. Is any other way I can get the old amibios back on? I have tried a boot disk A:/aminf342 E030811S.rom but all I get is a black screen with a load of gobbledygook. It is difficult to live with as you can imagine.

Gwilym

14. JohnWill

I'd consider downloading the DOS FLASH utility and trying to do it that way.

15. slider6542

sorry John, is that different to the aminf flash utility? because you have to use a boot and start that from dos. I have not heard of anything different other than winflash and I'm not keen on that from what I have heard

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/738578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice