1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant use my tv as a monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by titanium_soul, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. titanium_soul

titanium_soul Thread Starter

title is the problem i have a geforce 7300gs and it wont detect my tv or however it works but i had 2 use an avi to s video converter as my tv dos'nt have any s video port. The tv isint even a month old however its a crt flatscreen and is not hd

2. titanium_soul

3. titanium_soul

4. Compiler

Compiler

avi to Svideo? Do you mean DVI? what kind of TV? What ar you trying to do? Display PC quality HI-RES graphics (1280x1024) or NTSC video output (720x480 - roughtly) Does TV have VGA or DVI connectors.

5. titanium_soul

its a vga tv not HDTV or anything like that i got it to work but its wayy too choppy and i cant read small text and i have played with all the settings but to no vail any ideas and cheers for the reply

6. guitar

guitar Banned

try setting display to 16bit

7. titanium_soul

i have tried all that and the tv is only a month old the only thing it does ok is play games everything else is horrible

8. titanium_soul

i think i have bumped myself off here any suggestions peeps

9. Compiler

Compiler

So... the VGA connector on the TV doesn't work? Did you reduce the video res on the PC to 800x600 - the TV's manual will tell you the MAX RES & settings it can handle.

Using a SVideo --> RCA (I guess) cable would produce horrible results.

10. titanium_soul

no it works fine i have an s video to scart iv tried resolutions refresh rates u name it and its a horrid picture

11. awoolf

awoolf

It sounds like you are using a CRT-based TV (big, heavy tube), rather than a LCD/plasma set. I am also going to asusme that you are using a composite, S-video or SCART as the input. (not VGA, component or DVI/HDMI.)

Unless specifically designed as an HDTV-ready set, tube TVs are very low resolution. The highest resolution you should expect to be usable as a PC display will be 640x480. (assuming composite, S-video or SCART inputs) Anything higher will be very fuzzy. This is simply a function of the TV's components and inputs.

If you need a big PC display, buy a big PC display. :)

A. Woolf

12. Compiler

Compiler

You may want to contact tech support for the TV.

It was still asked what TV is it. Sony 27M53, etc etc...

13. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

You will never get a good picture with S-video. never ever. Unless you're using something like a DVI to HDMI connector (which you can't) then hoping for a high resolution on TV's is pointless.
    LCD, Plasma and some rear projection TVs have HDMI connectors, and some of them also have DVI connectors. These will produce the best picture.

14. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

I think he meant vga

15. titanium_soul

if i could atleat get xp to go into 640x480 then it would be acceptable and yes im using vga

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice