1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't use two-sided print feature over network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by smithmdan, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Home network 2 win98SE computers and one Win 95

HP deskjet 812C printer connected to Win 95 computer with parallel cable as local printer

printer connected to two win98SE computer over network as network printer.

Problem:

Can print to the printer from any of the computers with no problems

Can not use the two-sided (book) feature from the networked 98 computers (feature is grayed out).

Do I need to load win98 printer drivers?

Any suggestions?

2. vohoanglam

vohoanglam

You don't have to reload the driver!
    Try to add w98's network printer, don't let windows detect or use the win95 printer driver but choose driver from the CD-ROM!
    I guess when you install from win95, win98 doesn't have a correct driver! It's only use win95 driver ( instead of win98 driver in windows 98). That's the reason why some features were turn into grey! Try it!

3. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Thanks

I'll try that. If I don't post back you'll know it worked!

4. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Book feature still grayed out...

Any other suggestions?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just as a test, what happens if you temporarily connect the printer to the Win98 computer and use the Win98 drivers. Can you print the way you want.

6. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Sorry it has been so long since my last post. Just couldn't get back to it.

Now for part two of this story ..........

About a year ago lighting struck near my house and the power went off for a second and came right back on.

Ever since that day the printer in question has printed about 5 times as fast as it's normal speed. As you can see I hate to lost this special "feature" and am afraid if I try your suggestion (and hook it to the 98 computer) I will not get it back.

Where do I go from here?

I am replacing my main use computer (the 95) with one of the 98s and need to print 2 sided from my genealogy software. I guess maybe I will just have to bite the bullet and hook printer to the 98 and risk losing special feature.

Have you ever heard of a power surge doing this? ( the faster speed I mean)

Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice