1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't view backgrounds in web pages?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by steelcaress, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelcaress

steelcaress Thread Starter

My father in law recently lost everything due to Windows XP corruption, and he restored his laptop OS. This is where the problems begin...

When he's browsing, text sizes and such are messed up, and it appears he can't view the backgrounds in web pages. Pages appear just as text on a white page, broken by the occasional banner ad.

I have cleared out the cache. I have tried changing browsers between IE and Firefox. I have messed with various Internet Options in both Firefox and IE. I have reset the TCP/IP stack. I looked at his hosts file to isolate any bogus entries. I have used Windows Update and gave him IE 7, in hopes that this would sweep whatever bad settings there were away. All of this has not worked.

Unfortunately, I'm at the end of my rope. I'm no stranger to the registry or command line, so if it comes to that I'm up to the challenge. I thank you in advance for your help.

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Hi steelcaress
    After a failed restore I think its time to recover any files he hasn't backed up and go for a format and fresh reinstall.

3. steelcaress

steelcaress Thread Starter

I wish I could give him a fresh copy of XP, but all he has is one of these off-the-shelf laptops. Restore Disk only. Issues like this are why I build my own, and I don't use OEM software.

I found a solution, however. Control Panel --> Accessibility Options --> Display Tab --> Make sure that "use high contrast" is unchecked.

That appears to have fixed the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice