1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't view BIOS or DOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yankee888, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yankee888

yankee888 Thread Starter

I seem to have problems with my computer. Whenever I use the DOS prompt in Full Screen mode, all I get is a black screen; no text, no window borders, no nothing. When I boot up, I'm supposed to see other text stuff usually seen at bootup and the Windows XP screen, but I see none of that either, just a black screen. Oh yah, and I can't view BIOS either. I can get in, but I can't see anything.

If I switch monitors though, it's fine, and I see everything.

I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 with AGP 8x, with the newest drivers. And a KDS Radius Rad-7c 17" LCD Monitor. I'm also using XP Pro.

ANY ideas as to what is going on? It's really getting annoying when I have to switch monitors to get into BIOS. Thanks,

-Mike

2. greengeek

greengeek

Something wrong with your monitor if it works fine with another one.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

LCD monitors will refuse to display if the refresh rate is incorrect.

As they don't need to "refresh" in the normal sense, they usually are fixed at 60 or 62 Hz.

If your system is displaying with a refresh rate out of range when in DOS mode thats about what you would see.

How you change it is interesting I guess. If the video card holds its own settings, start there.

4. yankee888

yankee888 Thread Starter

Well, I put the refresh rate back to 60, but nothing. I'm gonna try the DOS window settings. Thanks kiwiguy,

EDIT: Just tried it, nothing. If anyone has any ideas, please help. Thanks,

-Mike

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd see if there's a reset to flush any settings in the flat panel, because that's where the problem lies. It's surprising that it doesn't display the BIOS or DOS, I've never had that problem. I've had it blank and tell me the settings are incorrect when I have the wrong refresh rate or resolution selected.

6. yankee888

yankee888 Thread Starter

If you're talking about the "reset" option on my monitor's menu, then I've tried that a few times-nothing. Thanks,

-Mike

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. yankee888

yankee888 Thread Starter

Damn, I just tried that again, (I had already done it a few times awhile ago), but I got nothing. Thanks though. Any other ideas?

-Mike

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I just tried this on my system, also a flat TFT, and noticed that there is a momentary suspend to a black screen before switching to the command shell full screen mode.

I'm wondering if there is not some conflict preventing this monitor from coming out of that suspend state.

In any case as far as the command shell goes, you of course have the option of not using full screen to start with and just stretch the screen as large as you want, or set the properties to a different Window size. You can set the Window size through the layout tab.

This does nothing for the BIOS problem obviously which is especially strange, since it is peculiar to one monitor.

10. yankee888

yankee888 Thread Starter

Hey thanks Rollin' Rog. I'll look into that momentary suspend that you mentioned. I don't really care about the full-screen command prompt, it's BIOS that really bugs me.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is the monitor under warranty? It really sounds defective to me. I haven't looked at what support options are offered at KDS, but I would sure like to know what they say about it. The BIOS issue, assuming it is a relatively recent motherboard, leaves nothing but defective hardware as a suspect.

12. yankee888

yankee888 Thread Starter

Yah, I remember emailing KDS awhile ago, but got nothing back. I friend of mine built me the computer back in January, so he has all the paperwork, etc. for each of the parts. I'll have to get them from him. Thanks, Rollin' Rog.

-Mike

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!