1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't view my pictures after install windows xp (file/folders are with green font)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GhoStDog_WoW, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GhoStDog_WoW

GhoStDog_WoW Thread Starter

Hello guys

I have a problem with my pc. I had windows xp sp2 pro on my pc and i wanted to do a clean installation of windows xp sp3 pro. So i did copy all of my pictures and folders that i need from partition C to partition D and then i i booted from windows xp sp3 pro disk. After the installation was finished and logged into windows and installed all the drivers and programs that i use , wanted to view some of my pictures that i copy from partition C to partition D , on partition D the folders with my pictures are with green letter names and when i try to view them via Windows Picture and Fax Viewer they were blank nothing in it. That problem is only for the pictures that i moved from partition C to partition D before the installation of windows xp sp 3 pro. Any tips why this is happening and how to fix it ?

The Encrypt continent to secure data is selected for some reason , but i have never select it or use that option . I did a Print Screen for you guys to see it .

thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know how it happened (maybe you tried encryption once and then forgot to turn it off?) but those files seem to be encrypted (by XP Pro). And since you don't recall encrypting them it's not likely that you have the credentials needed to decrypt them.

3. GhoStDog_WoW

Hmm , well if the files were encrypted before i formatted and installed xp sp3 then the windows would not let me copy them from partition C to partition D before i installed xp sp3 (because i was able to copy them ) . They got encrypted after i formatted and installed windows xp sp3 pro ( before that when i had windows xp sp2 pro they were not encrypted )

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you try to clear the 'Encrypt contents to secure data' check box, as in To decrypt a file or folder?

I would have guessed that a copy was possible, but never messed with that encryption so will take your word for it.

5. GhoStDog_WoW

Thanks for your replay, i did try to clear Encrypt contents to secure data' check box but i am getting error i did print screen. Is it possible that i switched from windows xp SP2 pro to windows xp SP3 pro ? Or maybe some nasty virus ? Is there any type of software to fix it, like CCleaner or some other ?
    Thanks

6. GhoStDog_WoW

Attached Files:

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes when files were created by a different installation you have to Take Ownership. Doesn't hurt to try, but I doubt that's why you are getting the Access Denied.

8. GhoStDog_WoW

Did try to take Ownership but i get 'Error in adding new user error code 5 " As i recall now i did have only 1 USER ACCOUNT = Computer Administrator with password.

Attached Files:

9. GhoStDog_WoW

No1 knows how can i fix this ?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice