1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't view other network computers/shared files...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FrenchPoodle, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrenchPoodle

FrenchPoodle Thread Starter

Hey guys well I'm trying to set up the best network possible.... I use the Linksys WRTG. And I have 2 wired computers, and 2 wireless computers. But everyonce in a while I have problems, and don't know what to do... or how to fix them. Right now I can see the folder for my other wired connection, but I can't access it and I can't see the computer in the "View networked computers", so I guess that folder is there just because windows has seen it before, but not now.

I'm thinking about just restarting my network again, anyone have a good guide or anyhting?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After a network changes (e.g., a computer comes onto the network or a computer leaves the network) it can take 15 to 20 minutes before all the computers get the current information and 'view workgroup computers' will work as expected.

When I can't be bothered waiting, I do
    Start - Run - \\IPaddr - OK
    where "IPaddr" is the IP address of one of the other computers. Unless there is some real problem, this will result in a Windows Explorer window showing the shared folders and printers on that computer. Often, but not always, it will also work if you use the Computer Name for "IPaddr."

3. FrenchPoodle

alright thanks for the tip, but it says that that network connection can not be reached... its really wierd because I mean its like right next to me... and that desktop and the 2 laptops all recognize eeach other, but mine doesn't recognize ANY of 'em.. I mean I can access the internet fine

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "but mine doesn't recognize ANY of 'em"?

Can you ping the other PCs by IP address? If so, by Computer Name?

5. FrenchPoodle

nope can't seem to ping it. Request timed out all 4 times

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ping failure usually means a firewall is blocking access. Do those other machines have firewalls that are configured to allow access from each other but not from yours?

You can ping the router, correct?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice