1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't view PDF's

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by SoT, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SoT

SoT Thread Starter

Hope you can help. I did try posting a thread up regarding my problem but didn't get any reply after their first answer.

I desperately need to find out what is wrong with my computer and fix it and I'm hoping its a problem that wont require me to take it into somewhere to be fixed as this tends to cost a lot.

At present the problem is that I can't access PDF files and despite having Adobe Reader 8 installed which I'm told is done successfully, it still comes back with messages saying there is an invalid plugin detected and AR8 will have to quit.

I've supplied the link to the first thread with both messages in full.

http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/691608-trouble-adobe-reader-8-a.html#post5721113

I've tried to uninstall the application and then reinstall it several times but nothing changes.

If it is a case of me having to go get this repaired then could you let me know please as its driving me nuts not being able to access the work that I need to complete.

Sorry for resubmitting this same question but I'd just like a few answers if they exist.

Thank you for your time.

SoT

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Adobe reader seems to cause a lot of problems for a lot of people. Recently I started using a very small program for viewing PDF's that uses significantly less resources than Adobe reader and starts a lot faster. It's called foxit and if all you want is a reader (not an editor) then it is available as freeware (containing no malware .... yes it is safe)

3. SoT

SoT Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your helpful reply, I really appreciate it.

For now at least I can view the PDF's which is great, but I will need to edit them soon and so would need to know how to fix this problem. Am I best getting rid of Adobe Reader and getting a PDF package which is an editor as well, or can my AR8 problem regarding this plugin be rectified?

Thanks once again.

SoT.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Do you get the plugin error when you try to open a PDF file in your browser or in Adobe Reader 8?
    If the browser, which browser are you using?
    Have you gone through the steps to manually remove AR8?

Adobe Reader will not edit PDF files, for that you need Adobe Acrobat, CutePDF Pro, Foxit PDF Editor, or something similar.

HTH

Jerry

5. SoT

SoT Thread Starter

Hi TheOutCaste,

I do get the same messages about the plugin when opening in both AR8 and in my browser Firefox & IE. I don't know if I'm wrong in saying this but they seem to want to open up via AR8 anyway, even if I'm opening in a browser. I hope I'm right in saying this.

I hadn't realised their was a manual uninstall for this as I normally just go through the add/remove programs option. I will try this asap and hopefully this will sort it out.

Thank you for the info on PDF editors to.
    Will let you know if this has worked.

Many thanks
    SoT.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you haven't already, i would also use Add/Remove programs to remove all Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Shockwave, and Adobe Download Manager entries.

The article doesn't mention Firefox, so here's how to manually remove the Firefox browser plug ins if Add/Remove didn't get rid of them:
    Firefox stores them at \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

In Firefox, type about:plugins in the address bar. Scroll through the list of plugins and note the file names for adobe and shockwave. Then rename those dlls in the plugins folder (*.dllold for example), or move them to a different folder.
    On my system I have the following 4 files, you may have more or less:
    Shockwave Flash
    File name: NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave for Director
    File name: np32dsw.dll
    Adobe Acrobat
    File name: nppdf32.dll
    Adobe ESD Manager Plugin
    File name: NPAdbESD.dll

They also left this out of the IE instructions:
    Goto Start | Run and type "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"
    Delete the Shockwave ActiveX Control and anything else related to Shockwave, Flash, or Adobe
    Also check %Systemroot%\system32 for a Macromed Folder. This is where the flash player is stored. Rename Macromed to Macromed.old
    If you get errors about files in use, do this using the same steps to stop the explorer.exe process and open a command prompt as the Adobe article shows.

Once everything is working, you can delete anything renamed or moved.

HTH

Jerry

7. SoT

SoT Thread Starter

Thanks for the info,

This is going to take me a little while to get my head round, as I'm not the most computer savvy person.
    I'm a little confused by some of the directions given in the article as I came across one of the folders it said to delete but when I opened it to see what was in it, it contained folders on acrobat 6.0 & 7.0 as well as acrobat 8.0. I got rid of the 8.0 but the initial folder still remains, should I delete the folder anyway? It does say in the article that it is only based around removing items regarding AR8.

In the article it seemed to suggest to me that if I've used the add/remove option then I was to jump to the "remove remaining folders and files for AR8" I hope this is right.
    I came across 2 files in the 'program files/adobe' section. One simply was an exe file which when clicked on began setup so I know I can delete this, but, the other was a folder simply called "Reader 8.0 which had a folder called Reader and that folder contained one folder called Plug_ins which had this file in "AI2Z_PDFAHOI.api". Do you know if its ok to delete this also, or where can I find out about whether I'm ok to delete this?

Also, I use photoshop alot and was wondering if getting rid of the files you mentioned is going to have any affect on this software? Should I also delete all this software from my computer for now?

Sorry about the 101 questions, just want to make sure I'm getting this right. The whole thing about going into diagnostic mode as well as editing the windows registry is a little bit daunting but I understand that it needs to be done to hopefully fix this problem.

Thanks again.
    SoT.

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The Acrobat 6.0 and 7.0 folders are likely previous version of the reader, but could be Adobe Acrobat if you have that program.
    I had Acrobat 7.0 reader, then installed Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional, and it installed into the same Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0 folder, so they could be mixed together.
    If you only have the Adobe Acrobat Reader, and not the full Acrobat program that lets you create PDF files, you can delete those folders. If you are not sure, you can always rename them, then check to make sure everything works properly before deleting them.

Photoshop should have it's own folder so deleting those should not affect Photoshop. Again, you can rename instead of delete, then test.

Anything under the Reader 8.0 folder should be safe to delete, as well as the folder itself.

You may want to search the Adobe knowledgebase for uninstall info on version 6.0 and 7.0 to clean out any remnants of the older versions.

Jerry

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice