1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't View Pictures...???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by 19heather76, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 19heather76

19heather76 Thread Starter

I don't know what's changed, but for about a week now, I haven't been able to click on and view pictures on my computer. It always worked before, and I haven't fiddled with anything on here, so I have no clue what's happened.

When I click on a picture file, it gives me an error message that says, "No file format information can be found in the Registry" and it has an OK button. When I click the OK button, it opens the Microsoft Photo Editor but the window is blank, and another error pops up that says, "Unknown file format".

This happens with all file extensions - .jpg, .gif, etc. Doesn't matter which file extension the file has, it gives the error messages every time.

How do I fix this??? HEEEELP!!!

2. Dataseeker

Dataseeker

What operating system is on you machine Heather?

3. 19heather76

Windows XP Pro 2002, Service Pack 2

4. Dataseeker

Dataseeker

Find a .jpg picture on your machine and right click on it. Select "open with" and choose your web browser like IE 6 or 7 or whatever you are using. See if the image opens in the browser.

5. 19heather76

Yes, it opens in IE if I do that. So, do I have to always do that if I want to view a picture?

6. Dataseeker

Dataseeker

For some reason you have lost the association of image types to programs in the registry. When you did what I last described you will have a choice to always use this program or whatever program you choose. That will become the default for that image type. Once you set that for each type of image you use, it will remain that choice and you will not have to do it again.

7. 19heather76

OK, thank you! At least that's better than having to launch PhotoShop every time I want to look at a picture.

8. Dataseeker

Dataseeker

When the “Open With” dialogue box opens there is a check box at the bottom for “Always Use This Program” if you select Photoshop that will become the default for that file type. --- and so on. Pick the one you want that is on your machine to be the default. It will be in the list if it is on your machine. Hope this all helps. It does not answer the question of how all this happened.

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

Another way to associate file types with programs you wish to use is:
    Control panel/folder options/file types
    scan down to jpg or jpeg and if you wish to use some other program then is listed there,select change and select the appropriate program from the drop down list

10. ferrija1

ferrija1

He hasn't lost associated programs for image files. He has lost required information on file extensions in the registry. Have you been doing anything with the registry? You may want to try a system restore.

11. 19heather76

No, I haven't done anything to the registry - I don't even know how to do that. It would be nice to know what has changed, though...it seems odd for this to happen all of a sudden, for no reason. SOMETHING must have changed, I just don't know what or how. *confused*

12. 19heather76

Thank you, I'll do that. Many thanks for your help! :)

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    May I ask ...
    What program do you want as your systems default viewer ???

I have Photoshop, Elements and a few others ...
    but they're to slow loading to use as a system default viewer and basic editor.

I use the freeware Irfanview as my Default Viewer n Editor....
    replacing Windows Image n Fax viewer as my systems default image program ...
    http://www.irfanview.com/ .... Have you heard of it ???

All you have to do is tell Irfanview to make itself the default (again maybe) .. and it'll fix it.

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    There is a “manual” way of “fixing” this problem ....
    and even adding choices to the Right Click context menus for each specific Image format.

It’s in Folder options .. the file types tab.
    It can be a little tricky but since you listed you experience as Intermediate … Do you want to “Go Here “ ???

Attached Files:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice