1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't view WMP Streaming video since I upgraded to Vista!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JSGTPD, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JSGTPD

JSGTPD Thread Starter

Hey All

Ok I have done EVERYTHING i can possibly find on the net to fix this problem. I am using Firefox 2.0.0.11, Netscape, Safari and IE 7 NONE of them will play any Windows Media Streaming Content. I have installed plugin after plugin that are suppose to fix these problems but no luck at all.

For example, when I go to TSN.ca and click on any of their videos I get an error that says

"Firefox users need to install the following ActiveX compatibility plug-in:
    Windows Media Player ActveX plug-in
    To begin the installation, you may need to add our site to your list of trusted sites."

So I go ahead and install it and it still dosent work.

Then I try to listen to my Sirius Satellite Radio online, and I can push the play button and it just sits there says I am missing a application/x-oleobject

I have no idea what the problem is, I can listen/watch my Windows Media Player 11 for DVD's and Cd's no problem, just will not work with streaming video. Anybody have any other suggestions??

Thanks

SPECS
    Windows Vista¬ô Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548)
    HP Pavilion m7570n
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 3574MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10

2. linkinworm

linkinworm

thats strange, IE7 should be configured with the WMP plugin of the shelf, have u tried to install it again, also firefix is a ***** to get to work with the WMP plug in, if it isnt already configured, u have to cpoy some contents over from the WMP folder to the firefox one, i cant remeber which ones, that was back when i had XP,
    try reinstall firefox, im sure im use 2.5 maybe 3.0 beta 2.0 may be outdated
    EDIT!!
    iv looked throught my mozilla firefox folder, im on 2,0 but go into the folder, and hen plugins and see if u have the np-mswmp.dll, if thats no there, then changes are that u dont have it installed, if u want i can upload my contents for u and then u can copy it to your directory and see if that works

3. JSGTPD

JSGTPD Thread Starter

Hey Linkinworm

Thanks for the reply

Yep the np-mswmp.dll is in the plugins folder. I even copied over my plugins from the Windows XP laptop cause it plays no problem on the laptop. I am going to uninstall Firefox and reinstall and see if that works.

Is there a way to uninstall Windows Media Player 11? Cause its not in my Add/Remove programs?

4. linkinworm

linkinworm

not that i know, of not with out 3rd party software, u could just run the installer see if it works i dont think it does though, look in the add/remove programs list for WMP firefox plugin, i have one in there, that was already on he system, can u post the contents of your plugin folder, there may be something missing

5. JSGTPD

JSGTPD Thread Starter

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

We don't need to use asterisks, or censored words to be able to communicate here ;)

I would suggest a review of the forum rules.

7. linkinworm

linkinworm

sorry iv took long to reply, you seem to have all the right plugin's in there to be able to use mozilla, has re installing mozilla worked for you? if that hasnt worked there must be something wrong with windows the windows media player folder, was vista a clean install or is it OEM? if it was a clean install you could try the repair feature on the disk, it just fixes all the windows files on your computer, but doesnt delete anything other than mods to windows files i think, so if theres a plugin say in the windows folder it will be deleted. i could upload my WMP contents and you could copy in into your folder, that could work as mine works fine

8. JSGTPD

JSGTPD Thread Starter

I'm going to try repairing my Vista this afternoon if that dosent work maybe you could upload your folder for me.

I really appreciate your help with this!!

9. linkinworm

linkinworm

has it worked for u?

10. JSGTPD

JSGTPD Thread Starter

Hey Linkinworm

Sorry for the delay had somem serious Porblems after reinstalling Vista. Nope dosent work still! Any chance of getting a copy of your plugins folder?

11. linkinworm

linkinworm

man that sucks, maybe its a hardware issue? ill upload my files anyway, give me like an hour tho its a pretty big folder

12. linkinworm

linkinworm

ok heres the folder, back up your own folder in case of anything going wrong with WMP all together, im not sure about how the genuine advantage thing effects it if there any saved play lists delete them

http://www.zshare.net/download/694356346d506d/

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!