Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't wake up PC from standby mode

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Anne Troy 
#1 ·
To start with, I have already read on this forum dozens of threads and replies dealing with this issue.
My problem is, more or less, the same, but let me give a little bit more detailed picture.

1) At first, my computer wouldn't even go to standby and hibernate (Windows 2000), giving an error message that the driver on the standard keyboard is preventing machine from entering standby.
I've tried so many things, updating the drivers and so on, but nothing helped, until I accidentally bumped into an article listing software which, when installed, could be causing this problem.
In my case, it was Adobe Fonts. The moment I uninstalled it, the machine started going into hibernate and standby without any problems. :cool: However, although I haven't had any problems with the hibernate feature, the machine would stubbornly be refusing to awake from standby.
So, at this point, you guys there sweating with updating the drivers over this problem, know that this might have nothing to do with updating the drivers, it could very well be one of the software on your machine, causing it. Unfortunately, I can't find this article anymore. Has anybody else seen it, by any chance?

2) Unfortunately for me, a few days ago I installed an incredibly stupid program for encrypting Emails (PGPfreeware 7.0.3 ) which adds on some absolutely irremovable network drivers, completely preventing the PC from browsing and sending / receiving messages. http://download.com.com/3000-2144-4880518.html?tag=lst-0-4
The program messed up my Windows badly and I run the Windows upgrade from the installation CD, which could not solve the problem, but all of a sudden, the machine was able to wake up from standby.

3) Now I realized that I would have to re-install Windows. When I finished, the machine was still waking up from standby normally.
Then I started with all the Windows updates, (critical, IE6, recommended, etc.), parallelly bringing back my software from the hard disc and CDs, McAfee Virus Scan Online, and so on.
Now, after some 48 hours, I have finished everything, and the machine is 95% the same as it was before the STUPID PGP, however, again it can not awake from standby.:mad:
If I were smarter, I should have been restoring one thing at a time, and testing the standby waking up, in which way I would have known which particular instance had blocked the feature again.

I can live without the standby, but I need it, I want it!

My questions now are:
a. Should I at this point, with all the Windows updates and all the programs restored, try to run again the windows upgrade from the installation CD, which had previously solved the standby problem, or this would be too risky, messing up the configuration again?
b. If I should, would it retain all the Windows updates and software, or it would remove them?
Thanks. Desperately seeking standby...

See less See more
#3 ·
Under "installation CD" I meant the original Windows 2000 CD.

When I said "upgrade", I meant we run installation of Windows over the existing Windows on the computer, but not a new installation alltogether, and therefore "upgrade".
(Afterwards, we run a completely new installation.)
It seems I am not using right expressions, so I am explaining myself.

Yes, I did all the online updates.
Yes, it goes into standby normally, but it doesn't want to wake up.
No, this is a desktop computer. Start-shut down-standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.