1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't watch dvd movies on laptop

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Gusline, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gusline

Gusline Thread Starter

Hi,
    Ya how come I can't watch my movies on my laptop.
    I can on my home computer after I downloaded a program called Videolan, but when I put the same program on my laptop I get an error message saying "Unable to open 'dvd://D"
    I have a Pen. 4 Dell Laptop with of course a DVD player, and don't know a whole lot about compters.
    Can anyone fix this for me or maybe know of a free program that I can download that lets you play movies on a laptop.
    Gusline.

2. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

have you tried playing the disc somewhere else? or playing another disc in the computer? is it a dual layer disc (some older laptops can't handle dual layers). the way to check this is look at the size of the DVD, if its 6-7gbs then it's dual layer, otherwise it's single layer.

3. Gusline

Gusline Thread Starter

Oh yes blaqDeaph I have tried playing the discs ( Store purchased Movies) somewhere else and on another computer. They work good. Being a pentium 4 I didn't think I would have to worry if it is a dual layer disc or not?

4. Gusline

Gusline Thread Starter

Oh yes blaqDeaph I did try playing the disc (store purchased movies) elsewhere and play them on other computer? with no problems after i downloaded videolan

5. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

it's not whether the processor can support it...its about whether the player actually can read the DL discs. Given that it's a P4 laptop (which would put it 4yrs++ ish), its entirely possible that the DVD drive isn't a DL drive..have you tried other discs? ones that you know aren't DL

6. Gusline

Gusline Thread Starter

Well blaqDeaph you must be right about my laptop. It doesn't even recognize that I put a movie in the drive. So it must be like you say, maybe its not a DL drive. But I don't know for sure whether its DL or not because all my movies say no more than 3.68 gb when i look under properties. So the bottem line is I'll never watch movies on my laptop right? Anyway now I have a bigger problem with the laptop when I boot up it doesn't show any of my icons on the desktop just the greengrass of Windows xp. now what do I do can I just put the XP CD in and just reboot the laptop will that fix it?
    Gusline

7. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Nope. Dual Layer support is built into the hardware of the drive. Even Windows VISTA wouldn't help in reading the DL discs. You'd need to change your DVD drive to a newer one for DL support. All this means though is that you can still watch normal DVDs (non DL ones) although most of the newer movies are DL. You should be able to convert between the two fairly easily, there are tools on the net to do just that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice