1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't watch my movies I downloaded

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by insiderzzz, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. insiderzzz

insiderzzz Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having a rather frustrating problem. After downloading full length feature movies from the net, I cannot open them. When I attempt to open them I get messages such as "video not available, cannot find decompressor." At first I thought it may be file specific, and that certain files were bad, but it has now happened with every full length video I try to play. I have the newest versions of quicktime and windows media player. What can I do? Are there other players I can download for free that will play avi., asf, or other video files?

Need help?

Insiderzzz

2. Moby

Moby

windows media player should play those files ok. Have you checked in the media player itself under tools, options, formats that those types of files have the box checked to play in media player?

3. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there and Welcome to TSG!

go to www.vcdhelp.com and download the DivX codecs and install them.

Should only need DivX3 and 4, DivX5 is loaded with spyware.

Good Luck!

4. pvc9

pvc9

As Moby already said that those files should play in the Windows Media Player. Also the WMP should automatically download any updates or codecs needed inorder to play those files for you.

What ver of WMP are you using? Also what OS?

5. insiderzzz

insiderzzz Thread Starter

I am using windows 95, not sure what version of windows media player

6. pvc9

pvc9

To know the ver -

Start->Programs->Accessories->Entertainment. I guess its that. In that look for Windows Media Player. Right Click on that select Properties. Now click the button Target and this would open the directory in which the main program for WMP is present. So now right click on that main program. Select Properties and then there would be 2 tabs on the top. Click on the Version and see as to what version it is.

Or try this -

Start->Find->Files...->Type player and select the C:\ to look in. When the main program(exe) is found follow the above steps. Right click on that file and check the Version tab and see what ver it is.

However I would suggest you to upgrade the WMP version to the latest available -

Click Here

Hope this helps...:)

7. pvc9

pvc9

One more thing use the same link above and download the Codecs for WMP and install them and see if they help.

Most of all the codecs would be enough inorder to play the asf or avi files. I neved had any problems with avi files but inorder to play the asf files I had to download the codecs and then they would play properly.

Hope this helps...:)

8. Moby

Moby

to find what version of media player you have (or most things for that matter) just go into media player, click help, about, and you get the version there. Seeing as you have windows 95 I would assume that you have an older version of media player, in which case I would do what sexytech says. The newer versions of media player are a bit resource hogging and shouldn't be recommended until you post your full specs. I would assume that your version is no higher than 6.4 unless you have updated it yourself.

9. pvc9

pvc9

Moby,
    Guess I was being too complicated. Thanks for helping out.

If insiderzzz is using WMP 6.4 then may be he can use it and download only the codecs and see if they help. About SexyTech's advice sorry I dont know about that. Hope it helps.

Just a thought!

10. bxmag

bxmag

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice