1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't write pdf file to CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nlt999, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nlt999

nlt999 Thread Starter

Hi! I am using an Emachine tower desktop running Windows XP Home. I can normally copy a file from disk to CD using Windows Explorer, then write it on the CD. I am trying to create a CD backup copy of a pdf file I obtained by downloading from the internet. I can drag it from disk to the E drive (CDR/W drive), then use "write these files to CD" under the FILE tab to start the write process. It seems to run OK until near the end, then give me a message that it can't do the write for some reason. The CD is then unusable (shows 100% full in My Computer-Properties). The pdf file is 222 mb, the CD says it can hold 700 mb. I have copied the pdf file from the disk in my PC to the disk in another PC on the network with no problem. When I try to write it to CD on the other PC it gives me the same error message there. Is there some way that the originator of the pdf file could have copy-protected it that would allow copying from disk to disk, but not disk to CD??? Thanks for any help! Nick

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The pdf file may be corrupted, try downloading it again and see.

3. nlt999

nlt999 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! Not sure I can still download it again since it had a time-limit on it. If it were corrupted, how would I be able to view it with Adobe reader (I can), and why could I be able to copy it hard-drive to hard-drive but not to CD?? Thanks again! Nick

4. seannmc

seannmc

One idea? Install a program such as PDF Creator. Bring up your PDF file in Acrobat Reader, then "Print" it to a second PDF file. If the original file is corrupted, you might have better luck burning the second to CD.

-Seann

5. nlt999

nlt999 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! Solved it by getting permission to download it again and did that to a different computer. Was able to write to CD on that one. Nick

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice