1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant write to hd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by motivated, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. motivated

motivated Thread Starter

I have 2 hard drives on my box.

I use the second one to back up any important stuff, but I cant paste anything directly into it.

When it was installed in this box it already had quite a few folders and files in it. I can paste into an existing folder and create a new folder inside an existing folder, but if I try to create a new folder of its own (not inside anything else) I get a pop-up telling me it cant create the folder "new folder".

I seem to remember it saying it was a "read only" file or something, at one stage.

I always thougt a hd couldnt be "read only"

Any ideas how to fix this ??

Thanks in advance.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Sounds like it might be a permission problem. What OS are you using?? If you're using 2000 or XP, make sure your NTFS permissions are set properly.

3. motivated

motivated Thread Starter

Please excuse me for not stating my OS, yes its XP.

NTFS ??

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice