1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't write to second drive ater Win XP install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tomiboi, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomiboi

tomiboi Thread Starter

I just installed a fresh copy of Win XP Pro on C partition.
    I have a second partition that I created (D) to install my software and keep data, but when I try to install software to the second drive (D) I get the following message:

"you don't have access to write to the installation diretory win xp "

How do I fix this?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Did you use the computer manufacturers recovery disk set for this install or was it from a Microsoft windows install disk?

3. tomiboi

tomiboi Thread Starter

No. I am using a Win XP Pro from NewEgg.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

From Newegg is the same thing as from Microsoft. Ok Here is what I believe you have got to do. You need the special drivers for the motherboard and such, These are as follows:

Chipset, buss, network, video, audio and others that will be listed on either the computer manufacturers web site or the web site for the motherboard manufacturer. If you need to know who make the motherboard you can use a program like everest or belarc adviser to tell you this. Just go to either one of the sites and download all of the special drivers and burn them to a CD-R and then install them starting like I tyoed earlier. Once these are installed it should see the second drive with no problem.

5. tomiboi

tomiboi Thread Starter

These will easy to find since it is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.

I see the second drive, it is formated as NTFS, but just can't install software to it. I'll try to install all the required drivers and then I'll post the results.

Thanks for the info.

6. tomiboi

tomiboi Thread Starter

OK. It worked after I installed all the drivers.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice