Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cant's add an additional SATA HDD.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Lil Chris 
#1 ·
My system is running with a PATA maxtor 40GB HDD and i just bought a Western Digital 250GB 16MB buffer SATA2 HDD, since storage is very very limited at 40.

I plugged the SATA cable correctly, power cables too. Bios showed that my WD2500KS (my new HDD) is connected. But when i'm in Windows, I can't see the drive in My Computer. It's not even in the "Disk Management" under "Computer Management".

I'm not planning on configuring any RAID. Just wanna use it as it is.

I tried to install Windows on my new SATA HDD by pressing the F6 key and using the required files from the floppy and it seemed to work. I can divide my WD2500KS into partitions and the setup allows me to install Windows on one of the partitions but I didnt because my OS is in my PATA maxtor, and I just wanna use my WD2500KS as an additional HDD.

What did i miss? Do i need to install a driver? How do i do that?

Thanks in advance

My specs:
Barton 3400+
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
6800 Ultra
1GB Hynix DDR400
Windows XP pro SP2

See less See more
#3 ·
Ah thanks John.

But how and where to i get the drivers?

#5 ·
Thanks alot John and RIch.

#6 ·
Hi there I have just done a reinstall on my machine,same motherboard as you A7N8X deluxe, using a seagate 250gb sata drive. The drivers you need are on the motherboard cd, I just copied them onto a floppy. For some reason they wouldn't load at F6 but it gave me the option again and then I just installed Xp then left the other drive on the ide interface and just changed priority in the bios. Don't forget you won't be able to acces info from my documents on the old drive when on your new instalation. I just booted into the old install and put the info I need where I could access it, then I reformatted the drive and now use it as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.