1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can'ty connect cd rw drive to pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spike999, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spike999

spike999 Thread Starter

hi,
    I have just bought a new sony cd rw internal drive. I have already install it into the casing but i am have problems connecting it. On the motherboard there is only two atapi sockets and are already used so i can't devote one to the cd rw drive. The connection i have just now is a atapi cable going from the motherboard to the hard drive then the cd rw drive. when i boot up it does register but when i open my computer there is no extra drive shown. And i think the the cd rw drive is connected as the master and the hard drive being the slave. There are three lose power cable and connnected one to the back as well as the atapi cable, is there anything else to be connected. But i cannot see any lose audio cables, but will the atapi cable include audio? It is a compaq presairo 5000 that i hav, do i have the correct connection? do i need any extra cables? If i need to use the bios i can't because i have put a password on it and forgot it. what should i do. if possible can you give me a website that will show these connection on a compaq computer please. thx

2. Rockn

Rockn

If you put the CD-RW on the same cable as the hard drive you need to set the jumpers on both the hard drive and the CD-RW drives. Set the hard drive jumper to maseter, CD-RW to slave, connect your IDE cable to the RW drive with the red stripe towards the power connector, plug the 4 pin power connector onto the RW drive (there should be extra power connectors in the case probably tied back) and then power on and load Windows. What OS are you running by the way?

3. spike999

spike999 Thread Starter

hi again,
    i am using windows me, what are "jumpers"?.
    the ide cable is too short to make the hardrive the master connection and the cd re-writer the slave connection. Thats why i have to make the hardrive the slave. once i have made the connections you have said, then should the extra drive appear in the file "my computer". But do i need extra cable's such as for the audio? Thanks.

4. slipe

slipe

Here is an illustration of Maxtor jumpers. The blue things are jumpers and the yellow dots the pins they fit over. You push the jumper over two pins and the jumper connects those pins. http://maxtor.com/en/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a.htm The pins vary within devices but they are usually marked with most CD-ROM drives and burners using only one jumper. You usually have a M, S and CS in vertical rows for master, slave and cable select respectively.

Compaqs usually use cable select. With cable select the device on the end is master. You don’t want the hard drive to be slave to the burner, so you will have to change the jumpers on both the hard drive and burner to master and slave. If you set them that way the master device doesn’t have to be on the end.

You don’t say what is on your other IDE cable. If it is a CD-ROM drive you likely have an audio cable running from it to the sound card. Some sound cards have a second connector and you can buy an audio cable for the burner. It isn’t really necessary. Most systems can be set up to bypass the cable and use digital audio through the IDE anyway.

I would move the CD-ROM drive to slave on the primary to the hard drive and put the burner by itself on the secondary as master. Having them on the same channel could slow the transfer between them.

5. Casey820

Casey820

The way you connect the IDE cable does not determine if the drive is master or slave. That is determined by jumpers. You have to have the hard drive as master and the CD-RW as slave. You can't have it configured the other way around.

Have you considered finding someone to help you install this drive? If you don't know what the parts are called and don't know what jumpers are, I think you may have bitten off a little more than you can chew.

6. spike999

spike999 Thread Starter

i am getting confused now, so jumpers are some sort of a plug that u slip over certain pins to either make it master or slave? If i need jumpers where do i get them? do i get them at a eletrical store or something? Say i get these jumpers, do i slip it over certain pins then connect it to the device?

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice