1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can'y find my floppy drive! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mangraskin, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mangraskin

mangraskin Thread Starter

I just got a brand new computer, now when I click the "My Computer" icon, I can't find the "a" or floppy drive. All of the other drive show & work properly. I tried to fix it by going into the computer and making sure that all of the cables were connected, YES they were. So I started trouble shooting! In the end here's what happens. It seems to be the communication cable. When I turn the cable around and pug it in the opposite ends the "floppy" light comes on when I re-boot and it STAYS on! When I click on the "My Computer" icon I can see the floppy drive but when I insert a diskette the computer says that it does not detect a floppy and it askes me to please insert one! So I bought a new communication cable. The same thing happens. I dont know what to do now. Please help!!:(

2. slipe

slipe

Welcome to TSG.
    It sounds like the floppy drive is bad if it isn’t showing as the A drive and you have replaced the cable. It is on backward when the light stays on, but it should be detected and work fine plugged in the right way. Have you booted to the CMOS/BIOS to make sure it isn’t somehow deactivated?

Since it is a new computer I would think it is their problem to provide a new one. Or the things are really cheap if it is too much of a hassle to get a replacement.

3. mangraskin

I don't know how to re-boot through the CMOS/BIOS to see if the drive is deactived. Could you please tell me how? The reason I'm going through all of this is because the office that biult my computer has closed down & the owner has left town!(n) Thanks!!

4. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hi and welcome. Try holding down the delete key as the system starts to boot. It is the most common key tp press when tryin to access the Bios Utility. Once there, see if the Floppy Drv is being recognized under something that might say, "Standard Cmos Setup", particuliarly so if it turns out u hav a Phoenix/Award type Bios. Del key usually works for AMI Bios, as well.

5. mangraskin

That didn't work. It seems as if I have a bad Floppy Drive. I'm just going to change it ALONG with the communication cable and report back to this site. Thanks for the help!

6. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

What do u mean when u say it din't work ? Do u mean by sayin that....u were unable to get into the Bios Utility to see if the floppy drv is bein recognized there ?

On the other hand; floppy's can be had for bout $8- 9, @ Newegg.com. Even if u find that there is nothin wrong with the
    one u r havin problems with gettin to work; it never hurts to hav a spare one layin aroun for troubleshootin purposes.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice