1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cap on my download speed ???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by changintimes, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. changintimes

changintimes Banned Thread Starter

in my Netscape ISP dial-up connection, i can only download a song file at about 5 kbs, even though i usually am running at about 45 kbs otherwise,

all downloading is only about 5 kbs,

is this a cap on downloading by my ISP, Netscape ?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just check your kb/s and kB/s, they are very different.

Your dial-up connect speed of 45 kilobits per second (45 kb/s) is fairly normal, this will result in a maximum download speed of 5.6 kiloBytes per second (8 bits to a Byte) which is actually very good for dial-up.

Connect speed is measured in bits per second (bps), download speed is Bytes per second (Bps).

3. changintimes

wow, i'm not that knowledgable, obviously, in depth wise about computers, so that info is really great,

just the other day i used kb and kB interchangeably, i even said something like, "kilobites.....or bits, whatever", speaking to my daughter, who is also not a computer wiz,

that really put perspective on things kiwiguy, lol, thanks very much,

it is about 5 kB/s for downloading, i guess that's about 40 kb/s also for downloading,

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds about right.

Its not a "pure" 8 to 1 ratio as there are things like error correction and data compression, but 8 to 1 is near enough.

If you are getting 5 kB/s on dial-up, it's quite good. I have a country holiday cottage, where I can only get between 1 and 2 kB/s. On broadband here at around 300 kB/s.

5. changintimes

300 kB/s sounds like a dream, may have to get that dsl afterall, even 100 kB/s would be fine,

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice