Capacitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joe_joe133

Hi I cleaned my PC and noticed that the capacitor next to my processor is kinda bulging and has orange crust on it, here is a picture of where and what capacitor it is, on the picture the red dot is the capacitor.

My computer has always been hot and ranges from 60c to almost 70c.

Attachments

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
RED LIGHT! :eek: There were a bunch of MB's shipped a few years ago with defective capacitors. Since you've spotted it before it actually destroyed the MB, it's possible to repair the board. OTOH, it may cost more than it's worth unless you're a little handy with a soldering iron. There's a group of similar capacitors, and if one has gone bad, they all need to be replaced. Or, this could be an excellent reason for an upgrade! :D:D:D

I see this problem all the time with computers more than two years old, I would strongly suggest replacing the motherboard rather than trying to replace the capacitors. You can still get new Socket462 boards that will drop into your current system, as you have DDR RAM.

joe_joe133

My computer is like 3 - 4 years old is it age that causes it or heat?

Can I just take old motherboard out then put new one in or do I have to completely reinstall windows?

It's caused by a sub-standard capacitor formula, i.e. a manufacturing defect.

If you buy a new board with a VIA chipset (like your current board), you won't need to reinstall Windows. Even XP should keep working without a reinstall. You will need to install a few drivers off the CD that comes with it, for sound/network/etc.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suggest you uninstall any MB resources and MB drivers before you do the MB swap, and especially the IDE controllers. Then you shutdown, do the swap, and install the stuff. You'll have a better chance of success that way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts