1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Capturing/ripping internet radio streams...

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mybest2U, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mybest2U

mybest2U Thread Starter

Anyone have a good freeware/open source program they can recommend for capturing an internet radio stream, specifically last.fm? There seems to be different formats/protocols for different radio stations, and it would be great to get a program that is versatile enough to handle most of them; but I would especially like to find one that works with last.fm.

Please note I'm looking for a program that can directly capture the streaming audio data and save it to disk as an audio file, as opposed to a program (e.g. Audacity) that records the audio from the soundcard.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. dannyn

dannyn

not sure...but i would think that is illegal.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you're sure -- cite the case law.
    Then tell it to "Tivo".

5. dannyn

dannyn

i just herd one day my school teacher said that if you did that, that would be like limerwire instead of downloading it your just recording... not saying i am right... thats just what he said..(he wasn't the smartest guy)... sorry.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Generally speaking, if something is not encrypted with copyright protection -- you are on solid ground in recording it for personal use. There is a vast industry in providing both hardware and software for just that.

Even that which is copyright protected may be argueably legal to backup for personal use. This one is debateable.

7. dannyn

dannyn

oo ok.
    thanks for the info!!!
    Danny

8. Hughv

Hughv

Winamp and Stream ripper.

9. gurutech

gurutech

Recording off the internet is like the old days taking a cassette recorder and sitting it in front of your home stereo - it's just that now the technology is much better!

10. mybest2U

mybest2U Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone; after trying out many different programs, I found the best solution for me was Orbit Downloader and Free Music Zilla. I found MANY commercial programs ($) that would do the job, but Orbit and Music Zilla together was the best free software solution I could find, and they work great.

Free Music Zilla can "stream rip" (i.e. download/copy/save) the music from last.fm (and the last.fm program), myspace.com, imeem.com, and others. It's extremely easy to use. For most other audio and videos on the web, Orbit Downloader works great (of course it works for youtube and the like). It even supports the rather obscure "rtmp" streaming protocol that some websites use for their flash audio/video files.

Here's where I found them:
    orbitdownloader.com
    freemusiczilla.com

P.S. Mcafee SiteAdvisor complains about orbitdownloader.com because it has "links to red stes", yet the software itself is adware/spyware free according to cnet.com, softpedia.com, and other reputable sites. I also ran Adaware/Spybot/AVG on them and they didn't complain, so I think they're OK.

11. Frigi

Frigi

I used to use some free softwares a while ago, but I gave up using them cause they aren't complete, I need smth improved and I found this Videoraptor which has many functions: besides downloading music and videos from internet for you, it converts files into the right format, burns Cds etc....You can try it here: http://audials.com/en/audials_one/download_music/index.html

12. Mogio

Mogio

Frigi,
    The quality of the files after converting is good? Or does it lose in quality?

13. Frigi

Frigi

Hy Mogio,
    Yes, the quality is good after converting. (y) With this tool I have all my favorite music on my mobile. I'm really happy with it :D

14. pishy

pishy

Hy guys,
    I'm newbie here, on this forum, but also with Videoraptor. I've just got this tool (I find on a blog that there were some free licenses for Videoraptor) and I have a little (I guess) problem with it: every time I open Videoraptor, it says that it can't find sources. Anybody has any ideas? :confused:

15. outerspace

outerspace

Have you checked your firewall settings?Maybe there something wrong with them and this prevents videoraptor from connecting to internet..I never had this problem with videoraptor but I'm guessing this is one of the possibilities.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice