1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Car Tracker

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Dingus, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi folks. This will get you thinking.
    I have a car that some would like to steal. For this reason I've been looking at getting a tracker for it. Unfortunately these tracker companies charge a little fortune.
    So I came up with an DIY idea.
    I have an old iPhone 4 that I've enabled 'find my phone' on. Being an engineer I've also been able to give it a 24/7 power supply from my car. Ever if the car battery is disconnected the phone will be powered for over a month due to nothing else, in the phone, being used. One thing it needed was a diode on the + side to stop power being drained in the event of car battery removal.
    The phone has a data only sim card in it so it can transmit continuously if contacted.

Well that's my plan. Just posting here to see if anyone can think of any problem I may come up against.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    How accurately can Find-my-phone pinpoint the phone's location? The phone may lose GPS signals if your stolen car is parked inside a garage in a residential area or inside a commercial building in a built-up industrial area. Would you be 100% certain you could narrow down the location to a given garage or building based solely on cell tower signal strength triangulation?

How well can you hide the phone so that it can not easily be found but still be able to receive GPS signals and connect to a cell tower? If your car goes right to a chop shop to be sold off for its parts, you may not have a lot of time until a poorly hidden phone is discovered.

How does the monitoring cost for a stolen car tracking service compare to the monthly cost of maintaining the cell service for the phone?

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Phew. A few questions there CW.
    'Find-my-phone' is anything but accurate. It's between 100 and 10mts, but that should be ok to find a car.
    I've tried it in a multi car park and it's fine. Again, not perfect.
    I regularly work on cars fitting hands free and alarms etc so I'm sure I can locate an iPhone that would be difficult to find but work through the cars body.
    Cut n shop guys usually do cut the car quickly, but I know this isn't a perfect fix.
    The cost can be quite varied. Up to £60 an month, where a data sim can be as little as only £5. No brainer.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I would say you should be good to go if you are satisfied with the location accuracy when testing in car parks, particularly on the lower floors of a multi-storey parking structure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice