1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Card Reader no longer recognized

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by plejon, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

Hello,

I had a laptop that was factory delivered with two hard drive partitions: C: and D:

Since C: was full and D: was almost empty, I used PartitionMagic to join C: and D: together to make one big C: drive, D: is now gone.

Since that operation, I can't use my cardreader anymore.
    Before I joined C: and D: , I would insert the cardreader in the usb port, and I would get 4 additional drive letters.
    Now I insert the card reader, and nothing happens. No error message, no new drive letters appear.

Anything I could do to solve this?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Maybe you shouldn't have done that.
    How big was the D: partition ??
    How big is your C: partition now ??
    Did they ship the recovery CD/DVDs with the computer ???

3. slipe

slipe

Take a look in device manager with the card reader attached. My desktop card reader shows as several “Generic volume” (s) under “Storage volumes”. They are also listed under “Disk drives”. If they are showing in device manager you might consider removing or uninstalling them and rebooting (remove with 98/SE/ME or uninstall with XP). With a reinstall you might get your drive letters straightened out. If you initially had to install drivers you will again. With XP it is probable that a reboot will install the card reader automatically.

Another alternative might be to re-establish your D drive using Partition Magic to make a tiny drive.

You would probably do better on the hardware forum or the forum specific to your operating system. They would want to know your operating system and details like whether you had to initially install drivers for the card reader, FAT or NTFS etc. You have enough posts to know to have a moderator consolidate them.

I’ve used Partition Magic for both SE and XP with no problems, but there might be traps or cautions involved that I managed to avoid.

4. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

The laptop shipped with a 60 GB drive in two 30 GB partitions. I thought is was easier to work with one big partition instead of managing which files to put on C: and which on D:

I'm not 100% sure this was the cause of the problem, but the fact is that before, the cardreader worked, and now, it doesn't. Since I now have one drive letter less, I looked in that direction.

Is there a was to ask XP to manually rescan (refresh) the USB ports, if the cardreader is not automatically recognized?

5. slipe

slipe

XP should assign a drive letter when you plug the card reader in. I don’t see where that would be any different from uninstalling the reader and rebooting. Uninstalling and reinstalling any component of the USB shouldn’t affect your drive letters.

Have you looked in device manager for any yellow exclamation marks in your USB area? Does the card reader show up in device manager when you plug it in? Do other USB devices work in the USB port you are plugging the card reader into?

6. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

I never found out what was wrong, but today, everything wroks again. Same cardreader, same USB port, I didn't change anything. It's a mystery, but it's solved

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Is your card reader assigned the letter D ?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice