1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Card vs. Integrated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by codexaenir, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. codexaenir

codexaenir Thread Starter

I have a spare network card. Would installing the network card and using it.. be any faster than using the already integrated ethernet controller on my motherboard?

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

depends, how fast is the integrated, and how fast is the card?

ie. 10/100, 10/1000

3. codexaenir

codexaenir Thread Starter

My network is 100mbs... And they are both 100 too. So it's not a bandwith issue. I thought maybe it might take more cpu cycles to run the integrated controller.. Or maybe not.

4. McTimson

McTimson

Most likely not...unless you're using gigabit ethernet or something, and the card you have is a gigabit ethernet card, you probably won't notice any difference between the two. The only time it might make a difference is when transferring large files over the network, but even then, it would hardly be noticeable...I'm not even sure if the other card would actually be faster.

5. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Just stay with the integrated ethernet, it would not be worth the trouble of installing the card, as there will be basically, no difference.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Install it, run dual cabling, configure both on same network, double bandwidth.... :) The cables are cheap enough.. Got 1000ft for $35 several months ago, including jacks over at compgeeks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice