1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Career Advice

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by io_robert, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. io_robert

io_robert Thread Starter

Is there anyone here who works in the field of Information Systems i.e. Systems Analyst, DB analyst/programmers etc.

I'm finishing university this year with an IT degree majoring in info. sys. and minoring managment, marketing.

I'd just like to get as much career info as I can: Such as how did you guys start off. What extra education did you find valuable to the field. What things did you do to move up to your positions etc.

The other thing as well - Im getting around a distinction average ( havent worked out my actual GPA). However when you start working in the industry do they expect you know everything. Like here Rob, make us this database. How do things normally work.

Any career advice would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
    Australia

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

I work in the IT field but I'm still in school. I'll finish next summer (2004). Feel free to send me an email and I'll answer anything I can.

[email protected] com

3. Gibble

Gibble

Well some places, smaller shops may just throw you to the dogs and basically just say "here do this" Its up to you to learn as you go, talk to users, and get advice from other staff on how to do stuff, but ultimately, you do it all and learn alot as you go.

Other shops, will be alot more hands on in training you. The hardest part about working somewhere isn't doing your job, it's learning the systems and practices they have in place.

I've been working here for over two years, and I still don't understand how all our DBs work together, there are major pieces of software we wrote that I have barely even seen. Then there are the projects I've worked on that I know inside and out, and people working here for decades know nothing about.

The HARDEST part about working is learning the systems that are in place and how they work together and making sure when you create a new system it fits into the company plan and current systems structures.

4. lora_3677

lora_3677

Gibs is right!! I work in a larger IT shop... my group is small, but the IT department is large. I've been here 6 months. For the first 2 months I did nothing but read up on how everything is tied together and learn their software that I hadn't even heard of.

I had a little of an advantage because I interned for the IT Department last spring, so I knew some of the basics of procedures and standards they have in place.

My greatest advice is this... don't expect to know everything and expect to have a HUGE learning curve when you first start out anywhere, because every shop is different and everyone has their own way of doing things. Keep your chin up and never stop learning!! Make sure you keep yourself on the cutting edge, even if the shop you work in isn't. That way if and when you decide to move on, your knowledge base won't be related to dinosaur technology.

5. io_robert

io_robert Thread Starter

Thanks to all those who have responded. I'm sure I am not the only one who would like career information. So if there are any other people out there with useful tips, please feel free to share it with us.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice