1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Career path.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by onca, Jan 19, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. onca

onca Thread Starter

Hey,

I'm trying to figure out what career path I should follow. I'm currently in college, studying computer networking (cisco, server administration, etc.), but I'm clueless as to where I want to take it. I definitely don't want to do tech support (*cough* ..people with their damn printer problems *cough*), which is a part of what *some* network/system administrators have to do. At least in small-to-medium sized companies. So what are my other options? I've researched this topic quite a bit, but it'd be better if I could hear some actual stories from people working in the industry.

Cheers!

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi onca,

Welcome to TSG!

My advise is to get an MS degree in either software engineering, computer science or computer engineering (more hardware releated). This will set you up for a career along the development track where there is much more opportunity to do the challenging work you crave. But, always keep in mind to build your skill sets along the way - as a fallback, there is nothing to cough at when others are out of work and you have a fallback that can use your skills like admin.

Read this for perspective: The miserable programmer paradox.

-- Tom

3. onca

onca Thread Starter

Thank you. Glad to be a part of it. :)

Computer engineering, eh? I sure enjoy working with hardware. Isn't it REALLY math-intensive though? But I'll definitely look into it.

I thought that the software engineering field is already flooded with people willing to work for minimum wages?

And I'm not sure what I could do with a degree in CS. Seems a bit too broad.

Have a great day! (y)

4. onca

onca Thread Starter

Are there any computer engineers, DBA's, technical writers or people working in information storage that could describe their typical day at work? Thanks. :)

5. Suntydt

Suntydt

I would recommend you look at Quality Assurance Engineering. There are not many people into QA and it offers a wide variety of necessary skills: networking, hardware, programming, technical writing, just about every field you might have an interest in. And it is a field building in popularity. Many companies are finding that having a QA staff to test there software and/or hardware cuts down on the necessity for patches and replacement hardware because of conflicts. In the long run a QA person saves the company money. Of course the programmers hate you for telling them what's broke :)

6. onca

onca Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the reply. QA sounds interesting, but I have no interest in programming. :eek:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice