1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cascading 2 wireless routers ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Aaron0072, Oct 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Aaron0072

Aaron0072 Thread Starter

i am trying to hook my linksys ea3500 up to a wind stream actiontec t3200 to use the ea3500 as a ethernet switch if possible?

am i able to connect these devices wirelessly so as to enable me to use the lan on the ea3500 while its wirelessly connected to the actiontec?

i am tech savvy but not quite rhis advanced in networking. Etaf, if youre out here id appreciate any help you could provide.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Pretty easy, and I'll post the complete procedure if this is what you really want to do. The two most important points are to connect the two routers via LAN ports and to disable the Dhcp server on the second router. But ...

Now you are saying that you want to use the ea3500 as a wireless bridge (or wireless client). If it has that capability it shouldn't be too hard to find the instructions for configuring it in the User Guide. Most routers do not have that capability.

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hi TerryNet . If you could post this procedure that would be extremely helpful.

He is my real life brother and I have been trying to help with this, however, I am NOT an expert in this department. What he was essentially wanting to do was hook the one router to the other so he could set the second route in a different room and use it as a range extender for WiFi IF POSSIBLE as well as be able to hardwire devices as if it was a switch.

Hope this helps. If can’t use as WiFi extender NOT AN ISSUE but DEFINITELY want to use as a switch.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hi Andrew. Here it is in all its glory. :) If that router does have the wireless client capability it will have the range extender capability also, and either will also allow ethernet connections.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected! [TerryNet Note: assume that all routers made in the last five or six years or more have auto-sensing ports.]

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

5. Aaron0072

Aaron0072 Thread Starter

we configd the ea 3500 with 192.168.254.252 while router was applying changes its showed internet connectvity but after changes we cant get back into the 3500

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you follow the above instructions you can't possibly have internet access through the second router before you "Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router." From my own experience I know that you do not need to follow the instructions in order if you know what you are doing and can recover from difficulties, but following the instructions will enable us all to get it working.

7. Aaron0072

Aaron0072 Thread Starter

I'm already lost lol

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    to confirm, you tried to get into the router by using the same IP as before, or the new one, 192.168.254.252?

9. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hiya Couriant and TerryNet.

Just an update: we’re postponing this project for the time being and we went with a cheap wireless adapter for short term. Will look back into this at a later date. Thanks so very much for your input, gentlemen. As always, valued and appreciated.

Couriant likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice