1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cascading Belkin N300

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tact, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

hi everyone. I was hoping someone here would have personal experience with the belkin N300 and using it to extend the network for an ISP modem/router.

I had previously had it set from Lan>Wan. but problems with the new blackops III on PS3, open Nat and port forwarding cause me to give up and test out Lan>Lan cascading in the hopes of having a better connection for playing and keeping UPnP enabled/not port forwarding.

everything seems to be working fine. having my bro test the game out as we speak. just had one specific concern regarding the home page to the router.

It says

I never had this error using Lan>Wan. and the router is constantly blinking orange instead of solid blue as a result i think.

although everything is working as it should, (everyone is online no problems), i still get this on the main page. is there a way to fix it? did i forget to enable/disable an option so belkin knows it's being used as lan>lan? (i use both wired and wireless on the 2nd router so i don't know if i want to enable "use as access point" i'm scared it'll disable my wired connections)

those are my main questions. any help advice is greatly appreciated. tyvm

i used this online guide if anyone cares to check it
    http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=8179

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you are saying that you want to use the Belkin router as an ethernet switch and wireless access point. The Belkin routers I have had included an "Access Point" mode that made this ultra easy (you use the WAN or Modem port to connect to the primary router). Following is a recipe to use any router this way.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected! [TerryNet Note: assume that all routers made in the last five or six years or more have auto-sensing ports.]

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

3. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

i think i might have an idea where i'm forgetting something. the instructions you posted and those i found online both said to disable "NAT" on the 2nd router, but i was never able to find it in the options to disable it.

i think this is the reason the router thinks there is a problem when in fact there is no problem.

you mention that simply connection the Lan>lan should disable Nat functionality on the 2nd router? i mean, everything is working beautifully, i just can't get the 2nd router (belkin N300) to stop throwing a warning message. i think maybe i just need to tick the checkbox that says "use as access point". even though i liked the idea of having 2 router firewalls on, i think doing this disables 2nd router firewall and only leaves 1st router firewall.

am i correct in these assumptions?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The "NAT" and the router's firewall depend on using it as a router. If, instead, you use it as a switch and access point the "NAT" and firewall are not in play.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!