1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cascading folder question (xp home)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rude_Dog, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

Hello,

Picture this. I have enabled both the Quick Launch toolbar and the Links toolbar in my taskbar.

If I put a folder (the folder, not a shortcut to the folder) in the Quick Launch folder, its icon appears in the taskbar's Quick Launch toolbar. When I click this icon, a Windows Explorer window opens on my desktop and displays the folder's contents.

If I move this folder from the Quick Launch folder to the Links folder, it disappears from the Quick Launch toolbar and re-appears in the Links toolbar.

When I click the icon for this folder in the Links toolbar, its contents apear just above the icon in a cascading fashion, similar to the way the Start menu appears to work.

Now the question: When I add a folder to the taskbar as a toolbar using right-click-on-task-bar>Toolbars>New toolbar..., what do I need to change so that the contents of that toolbar will cascade similarly to the way the contents of the links toolbar do.

Thanks

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

HUH?? Have to shake my head on that. Hope you get the problem solved though.

:D

[​IMG]

3. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

Hi Bill, Thanks for your encouraging reply. A toolbar is an object you can have appear on the taskbar. I think the Quick Launch toolbar appears on the taskbar by default. You can manage what toolbars appear on the task bar by right-clicking on an empty space in the taskbar and then hover the mouse cursor over the Toobars menu item. When you do this, you get a list of Win XP standard toolbars, and below that list is a menu item called New Toolbar.... This item lets you create your own toolbar.

See the attached picture of my task bar. The group of icons just to the right of the start button is a toolbar. It looks like the Quick Launch toolbar, but it's actually the Links toolbar. I think the Links toolbar is better than the Quick Launch toolbar, because of the cascading folder effect that the Links toolbar has.

What I'm looking for, is a way to use the New Toolbar... command mentioned above, to create a tool bar. And then be able to modify that toolbar so that it has the cascading folder effect like the Links toolbar does.

Anybody know how this works?

Attached Files:

4. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

I'm sorry btu i dno't waht the hlel you are tyrnig to ask hree. It aeppras no oen esle deos etiehr.:confused:

5. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

I hope someone with a more advanced understanding (more advanced than my understanding) of Win XP will eventually read this request for help, and explain how this works.

Of the various toolbars that can be displayed from the task bar, some allow for the cascading folder effect, such as the Links toolbar. Some toolbars, such as Quick Launch, do not.

Where and how is this cascading effect property controlled?

Consider that if I right-click the task bar, and select Toolbars from the context menu, and then select New Toolbar..., and then choose a folder from which to make a toolbar ("My Documents", for example), a My Documents toolbar appears on the task bar.

If I click a folder icon from that toolbar, a Windows Explorer window opens and displays the contents of that folder. This is the way that practically every toolbar works when added to the task bar...

Except the Links toolbar. If I right-click the task bar and select Toolbars, and then select Links, the Links toolbar appears on the task bar. If I click a folder icon from the links toolbar, a Windows Explorer window doesn't open to display the folder's contents. Instead, the folder's contents are displayed as a little menu of items that floats over the task bar and desktop, similar to the way the Start menu contents are displayed when I click the Start button.

What is it that allows this toolbar to work this way, while practically all the others don't?

Please, no TWOG posts, and thanks in advance for any informative replies.

6. Augie65

Augie65

Unlock the taskbar and then select Toolbars> New Toolbar and selecting My Documents. When on the taskbar, when I click the arrow beside My Documents, I have the menu to select any file or folder in My Documents. See attachment.
    Is this the option you want?

Attached Files:

7. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

Hi Augie65,

Thanks for the reply.

While clicking the ">>" symbol in the My Documents toolbar displays the My Documents folder contents in the cascading method I want, this arrow symbol only appears in the toolbar because the toolbar's size is too small to display all of the toolbar's contents on the taskbar. Once the My Documents toolbar is re-sized so its icons are displayed on the taskbar, clicking any individual folder icon within the toolbar causes the folder to open in a Windows Explorer window, instead of displaying its contents in the cascading method.

In contrast, if you put the Links toolbar on the taskbar, and adjust its size so that all of its icons appear on the taskbar, and click a folder icon, its contents expand in the cascading method I want. See the demo picture.

What I want, is to know what property needs to be changed in order to get any folder toolbar I add to the taskbar to work like the Links toolbar does. I hope it's an easy thing, like changing a setting in a ini file, or a registry tweak.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

8. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

Bump!

C'mon all you Windows gurus. How's this work?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice