1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cascading issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AndriusG, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndriusG

AndriusG Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I've been having some problems connecting a second router to the main modem/router in our network via an ethernet cable.

I've tried following instructions I found online, but I'm either too tech-illiterate to get it working or something's up. The situation is this – we've got a 50m ethernet cable coming from the primary router which I can plug into my MBPro and the internet works. However, it doesn't work with my flatmate's desktop computer, we tried it on both Windows and Linux. What have we tried doing? Basically, everything here –http://homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&login=1&app=search&vw=1&articleid=3733 as well as playing with all sorts of settings on the second router, DHCP on/off, changing the IP address. Our first router is a Pirelli a125g router/modem and our second router is an ASUS DSL-N10 router/modem. We've also tried connecting an SMCWBR14-G2 as a second router with the same result. Whenever we connect the ethernet cable to the secondary router, it doesn't always recognise that the cable is plugged in.

The thing that confuses me the most is that I can access the net on my MacBook (IPv4 configured using DHCP) and I can even share it through the wifi, so I've got cascading working in a way, but my flatmate's desktop cannot even connect to the internet running Windows 7 using either DHCP or manually entering the IP/Router configuration I get on my MB.

What could be the issue?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From the Rules, to which you just agreed within the past hour ...

We also will not help you help your neighbor break the ISP rules.

Is there some extenuating circumstance or should I close this thread?

3. AndriusG

AndriusG Thread Starter

Wow, that was very ignorant of me...

The reason we are doing it this way is – we live in a rural area and, for some reason, the (only) ISP in our area told us that they can't get a phone line into our house, so they kind of left us without any choice... I'm not sure how our particular ISP feels about it, though, but if it's against the rules – it's against the rules. I guess I'll have to post elsewhere and leave out that particular fact.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You shouldn't leave out those facts. Better to tell us what you just did and in what country you are, 'cause what you describe is more common in some countries than it is here in the US. (As a mod I can see that you are outside the US, but regular members cannot.)

Please understand that running an ethernet cable between houses is very dangerous unless done by a qualified electrician who knows how to properly ground it. A lightning strike, for example, could take out both houses.

If you are connecting the first router to the second (the one you are adding) router's WAN port there should be no problem as long as the routers are using different LAN subnets. If both are using the same (e.g., 192.168.1.x) then change yours to use something different (e.g., 192.168.3.x).

It sounds to me that you may be connecting instead to a LAN port on the second router. If that is what you are doing then you have to at least disable the Dhcp server. If this is what you are doing I can post a complete procedure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice