1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

case airflow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

arrghh!! i am having so much trouble with the airflow in my case.
    actually, it all started with the temp of my cpu, which runs at 39-42 under an average load according to both mbm5 and bios (like right now its at 40). the case temp is 30, almost always 10 below the cpu temp. i have a good copper based heatsink w/ aluminum fins- and the fan is supposed to push 39 cfm as the max airflow, @ 3000 rpms.
    after replacing the cpu fan w/ several different types and there wasn't any change, i decided maybe it was the airflow in the case. i have a 120mm fan, unsure of the brand, in the front of my case as the intake, and then the psu is dual fan equipped, and then there is a rear 80mm ADDA fan blowing outwards, and then one side panel fan right smack in the middle of the window.
    does anyone see any obvious mistakes i may be making here?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Your airflow is probably fine. THough if your wiringis just hanging loose and all over the place, I would tie it up carefully so that is neatly bundled and away from cards and parts as much as possible. I tie my round IDE cables as much as possible to the side of the HDD mounts And Power supply wires are bundled as much as possible also. Though this doesnt necessarily increase air flow it does make it less turbulent and more free flowing.

39c is not too high under moderate load. So you dont have much to worry about.

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

i don't want my case to sound like an airplane!!! it's not like i have it on the floor or in a cabinet type thing, its right in my face.
    ok- here is a pic of the inside... please don't scold me about the wires, i know its a mess in there!
    http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/whatamess.htm

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

hey- wait a second, what does A weighted mean? and how does that make it so quiet? 45dBA @ 105 cfm is quiet...

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually your case looks pretty clean inside to me. Either that or I AM really blind. And like I said under moderate load that temp is not too bad at all. Try checking the idle temp. and see what it is.

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Everything looks fine to me. There's only so much you can do with all those wires and all.

What's the real problem here? Is it just too loud with all those fans buzzing away?

Your temps look fine.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you're trying to solve a problem that you don't have. Both of my AMD systems processors run 8-10 degrees higher than the case temperatures, and I don't give it a second thought.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't have a problem; your temps are fine. 39-42 degrees are well within spec. Thats the same temps I run at, although my mobo temperature is generally in the low 20's which is similar to my room temp.

9. Whitestar

Whitestar

As the other guys have said you dont have a problem with the temps.
    I did notice a space for another 80mm fan at the back of the case. If you put a fan ther extracting air, then it would increase the airflow a bit.
    There is a company called Vantec that make really quite, almost silent fans if your looking to keep noise to a low.

10. DDC

DDC

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    KerriAnn, I dont think you are having any problems at all. You have done a great job of keeping your case neat and tidy. You seem to have plenty of air flow and cooling. And the temps are actually good. I would stop worrying and enjoy what you have built. And you appear to have room for future upgrades you did good.

How about a picture of the finished product (the whole thing).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice