1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Case can't fit DVD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blakes7, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

HI! I'm configuring a new computer for my brother. His is about 9 years old, and the date and time won't stay set. I can try and replace the cmos battery, but I did that once and that little prong holder bends mighty easily. And It's time he has a decent computer. He actually doesn't use it much. Mainly e-mail, figuring out his banking---though he doesn't do any online banking, and genealogy. By configuring, I mean, I went to a site and I'm configuring a computer on it. I'm looking at a Ryzen 2200g, GIGABYTE B450M DS3H, 8GB (2x4GB) PC4-21300 DDR4 2666MHz Dual Channel , ASUS 24x SATA DVD Recorder +R/RW -R/RW , Thermaltake Versa H21 black, front USB 2.0 & 3.0 case. They said I had to upgrade to this case since the case included in the barebones---
    DIYPC Solo-T2-BK Black Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Front USB 3.0, doesn't have room to put a DVD drive in. I have never heard of this. I know you can use an USB drive to install an operating system, but OSs come on disc. Software comes on disc. Does this sound correct, or are they just finding things to add a little more to the cost?
    Also, the memory for this configuration has to be the 2666MHz, not 2133MHz. Also, does anybody have recommendations for computer builders? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    For a low dollar recommendation and yet more than enough computer for your needs, it's hard to beat a refurbished computer.
    Newegg has listings from ~$100 and up.

https://www.newegg.com/Desktop-Computers/RefurbishedStore/ID-66?name=Refurbished-Desktop-PCs

If you want new, they have sales periodically from ~$450 and up.

I'm posting from one of their refurbs that cost ~$130 and came with a fresh install of Win7 Pro, although I prefer to use use Linux on it.
    There are Win 10 machines available for slightly more dollars.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Many modern cases do not have a bay for optical drives. This is done to facilitate the use of liquid cooling [space for optical drive is used for the radiator] My ryzen system does not have an optical drive.
    Just about all modern software can be downloaded or installed via usb. The optical drive will soon go the way of the floppy drive. Remember there was a time when software came on floppies, operating systems were installed from floppies, etc.....

Next from your post, it would appear you are an inexperienced builder. Ryzen processors have incredible performance however ryzen is NOT for the inexperienced builder; it is more for the experienced guy who does not mind doing bios updates, configuring ram speed manually in the bios, etc, etc.
    With an intel build, you can just slap parts together and it runs well. Not so much with ryzen. A ryzen build needs careful tuning in the bios to achieve a high level of performance.

I have two personal systems here;
    1 Intel 7600k overclocked to 4.6gig
    2 Ryzen 1700X overclocked to 3.9 gig

On a single core benchmark, the intel has a slight advantage [not surprising since the intel is clocked quite a bit higher] On any multicore benchmark, the ryzen system literally blows the intel out of the water; doubling the cinebench cpu score. On realbench the ryzen system scores approx 35% higher.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  4. lynx1021

lynx1021

Oh no! I guess I will have to stock up on DVD burners before they go away !
    I was just looking at cases and the DIYPC Solo-T2 does have 1 External 5.25" Drive Bays but there is a lot that do not. You have to make sure it says External 5.25" in the description . I was looking at my brothers Tower this weekend and he has a cassette player/recorder in one of his 5.25' bays, blue-ray burner, DVD burner, floppy drive, and a memory card reader in his tower. Never saw a cassette tape player before in a computer. He used to have a scusi back up tape drive also.
    Edit :just saw reviewer said " the bay is there (one of them) but it won't work with a mother board in the case. Doh!"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice