1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Case cooling advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Random101, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Random101

Random101 Thread Starter

Recently, my my secondary hard drive began crashing occasionally and my Geforce FX5600card had to be underclocked for me to be able to play certain games without them freezing every now and then.

I'm still not entirely sure whether the hard drive problem is related to heat (the HD does feel very hot when I touch it though, but maybe it would anyway) or if the graphics card problem is something to do with the graphics card itself rather then the heat level in the case in general.

Either way, I think it probably would be better in the long run to improve my cases cooling. I looked up my case, which I think is an aopen H435 tower case. It has place for an 80 mm fan at the rear and a 120 mm fan in the front. I knew about the 80 mm slot but I've never noticed the 120 mm slot. I'm going to see if I can find it.

With this in mind, what fans would you recommend I get? Some options I'm considering are the Vantec fans, like the vantec 80 mm tornado fan or 80 mm stealth fan. Anyone know whether they're good or not? I know I have to take air flow into account as well, and try to push cold air in and hot air out, I just hope the positioning of the fan slots is suited to that.

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Adding fans may help. Intake front low,exhust high rear. Clean out the dust,dirt and run it with the side off the case and a house fan blowing into it and see if it is a heat problem first before you buy more fans. Check that the vid card fan is running also. You may want to buy a better psu than the 300w that came with the case also,if this is the case you are using now. https://usm.channelonline.com/yul/storesite/Products/Overview/?id=M003033377

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd get the stealth models, the tornado will be pretty noisy. :)

4. Random101

Random101 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm thinking of upgrading the power supply as well. I know I'll have to if I get a new graphics card. How much of an upgrade to the PSU would you advise?

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 120mm front fan mount point may just be a concave grill with the screw positions set for a 120mm fan. On many machines the lower fan mount point will be in the front lower right hand sector when looking into the case from the removable panel.

I use Vantec Stealth fans exclusively in my builds and have found them to be excellent.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice