1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

case cooling fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TR121, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TR121

TR121 Thread Starter

i just installed a case fan in back of pc to pull heat from pc (hp pavilivon a305w) through the back of pc case so i went out and bought two 92mm case cooling fans one for the rear the other originally the front of case (92mm is what rear fan gaurd measured).

the fan for the rear of the case when in just fine however it is somewhat noisy (sounds like a sm.quiet blower)i understand fan has to make some type of noise since it has a working motor inside.but it would be nice to get it a bit more quiet if possible.

replacing fan is not a option had a hard time finding fan for my pc not comfortable about online purchasing either. will have to return second fan since fan plug does not match plug in pc. have to find one that does if i go ahead with instaling 2nd fan

so my first question is there anything i can do to quiet the rear fan just a little bit more.

second question since i cannot install a fan in front of my pc(no area to mount fan) and an new case is not do able right now could it be possible to install fan on side of pc or would a simple fan guard be ok mounted on side of pc.

CASE FAN SPECS.
    brand type compusa
    fan dimensions 92x92x25mm
    input volt. 12v.
    noise level variable 33db
    fan speed variable 2400rpm +/-10%
    air flow variable 39.8cfm +/-10%

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Guess you could try this to slow your fan down a little if you mobo supports it and you are running that rear fan off the mobo and not the psu. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

3. TR121

TR121 Thread Starter

yes my rear case fan is running off the mobo but not sure if my mobo (trigem glendale) will support the speed fan software but will give it a try

any advise on my second question

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I do not think you need a side case fan at this time in your HP.

5. TR121

TR121 Thread Starter

well what about a fan guard i ask because my hp pc case has little to no air vents built in it. this includes front of pc and i want to make sure i have enough airflow going through pc.

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Have you added upgrade parts to it and having heat problems now?

7. TR121

TR121 Thread Starter

i have recently added a 2nd memory stick and the case fan as for heating problems my cpu and mobo temps were both near 50c before adding the fan after fan install temp. seems to be holding at 40c sense i have been online today.

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I am not sure what it is you mean by a fan guard.

9. TR121

TR121 Thread Starter

fan guards are a metal round grills that can be installed on the side or top of pc cases some come in differnet designs or just the grill type (like the grill on your barb a cue) but smaller.

you have to make a hole wherever you plan to install it before installing the fan guard. some people that i have talk to mention it would be ok to install a case fan insisde the pc and the fan guard would be placed outside the pc covering the fan from the outside this would allow cooler air to be drawn into the pc while the fan in the back of the pc would draw hotter air out thus giving the pc proper air flow

and of course if you have kids it would keep fingers out of the reach of the blades.

10. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Do you have kids? I do not see the need to cut a hole in the side of your case. Hell if I were worried about heat, which you don't need to be at this time with your HP temps, just take the side panel off and let a small house fan blow into it while being used.

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Getting the correct airflow is they key, and unless you can understand the airflow dynamics indide te case, simply adding a side fan may not always deliver the desired results.

But, for a stock HP unit, can you explain why you need to increase to cooling? They are traditionally OK in this regard, in my experience.

Why do you have to use a fan "with the correct plug"?
    Simply splicing it into a spare Molex drive lead works sell.
    If you want more air, but quiet, you could try a 12v fan but splice it into the 5v line. It will run slower but a lot quieter (depends on fan construction as to how well it works) or buy a fan controller to manage the speeds, hardwiring the fan(s) to it..

12. TR121

TR121 Thread Starter

no kids to get a sm. house fan to blow into it first i would have to remove it from my desk cabinet and get it into the open which i was thinking of doing anyway to get it better ventilation but if i am going to leave the side panel off while its on i might as well remove the case fan too and point the house fan at the pc just to cool it off

thanks anyway

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There is one thing you need to know and to keep in mind. Often when installing fans a person disrupts the smooth flow of air by improper location of a fan. Turbulent air does less to cool the inside of a computer case. If adding another fan places it in a location that the added air flow disrupts the natural smooth flow of air, you stand the chance of increasing your temps rather than decreasing them.

As fars as Fan noise, when shopping for a fan you want to take a look at the dB level at a given rpm of a fan. It would look similar to this -27dB @ 4000rpm. The lower the dB level the quieter the fan is going to be. Also larger diameter fans tend to move more air at lower rpms than their smaller cousins. I have a single 120mm fan installed in the back of my case turning at 2400 rpm and it is virtually silent. I also have a 120mm fan in the PSU. My temps run in the very low 30's C sometimes inthe mid 20's C.

Cooling is aided by keeping your case dusted out. and by proper cable management among other things. When dusting your case out, use cans of compressed air available specifically for this purpose. you do not want to use a vacuum cleaner in your computer ever. You also do not want to get inside with a brush to remove dust as this tends to knock loose connections or card insertion which will cause you problems.

14. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Speedfan works of the mobo to control fan speed not the psu. You can go kiwiguy's route also if you want.

15. TR121

TR121 Thread Starter

my need for increase cooling is because i dont want my mobo,cpu and anything else to burn up due to increase in heat building up inside pc case

as for using a fan with the correct plug i cannot make the fan work if i cannot plug it in and i am not an expert with splicing things .

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice